How to use mini co2 canisters for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have these mini co2 cans and I was wondering how I would use them in the tank. They are crosman airsoft co2 cartridges. Do I just spray it Into the tank? How do I know when its enough?

No i believe you would have to buy a regulator and set up a system.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long will one of the canisters last for?

I've been looking at the mini kits and which one would you recommend for a 20 gallon tank

The smallest CO2 system I'd use is a paintball setup. Those fluval refill cartridges will just eat up your cash faster. And, I don't think you can use those bb gun cartridges in a planted tank. You need a regulator that will control the rate in which CO2 is released into the tank.

What about an 88g co2 setup? Do these work well?

That regulator works for a paintball setup? Pretty cheap!

You have to get a bubble counter (the one it comes with sucks i got a fluval one of Amazon cheap and good) and a diffuser that it doesn't come with. Wouldn't hurt to throw in a check valve and co2 tubing. It works with 20 and 24 ounce canisters i believe maybe more i got a20 and it's working great. It cost me 4.50 to fill at dicks not sure how long it will last But I've read it could be months depending on co2 output.

I used zip ties to secure it so it doesn't fall

Attachments

• 1398949765602.jpg
    1398949765602.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 1398949830834.jpg
    1398949830834.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 1398949845601.jpg
    1398949845601.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 128
Can you attach look links of all the items in your setup

How long does the co2 last until you have to refill it and what size tank? What does the bubble counter and diffuser do? Are they necessary

Diffuser does what it says. It diffuses the co2 into the water allowing the water to absorb it easier

A bubble counter allows you to set a rate of co2 into the aquarium. Typically 2-3 bubbles per second.

You will also want a drop checker. This is a visual indicator as for the levels of co2 in the aquarium.

Do google searches on these three things to find out more in depth info

how long the tank last pends on how much co2 you are pumping into your system the diffuser makes the bubbles small enough to dissolve into your aquarium, the bubble counter makes it so you can see how much co2 is being pumped into your aquarium. you also need a check valve witch you can find on Amazon by typing in aquarium check valves

how long the tank last pends on how much co2 you are pumping into your system the diffuser makes the bubbles small enough to dissolve into your aquarium, the bubble counter makes it so you can see how much co2 is being pumped into your aquarium. you also need a check valve witch you can find on Amazon by typing in aquarium check valves

And co2 tubing. I think regular airline tubing leaks after a while when using pressurised co2

I have three of those Aquatek mini regulators for paintball. They're all still working so that's a good sign to quality for the value.

I actually been using the bubble counter they come with. Yes they aren't the greatest, but they do work. The good thing about them is they have an integrated check valve. So if you decide to replace it with the fluval bubble counter (which I have as well on my DIY system), buy a couple of check valves and put them inline. Otherwise, water can get into the regulator.

I don't use zip ties to keep the bottle up. I use a kitchen utensil caddy that works perfectly for my application.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom