How to vacuum substrate in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a temple plant and a wisteria plant in my 29 gallon tank and am very new to plant keeping. I do a 50% weekly water change & gravel vacuum and I always find the most fish waste near the roots of my plants. I obviously don't want to be smashing my gravel vacuum into the plants' roots but also I don't like the idea of a bunch of fish poop rotting in the tank. I always see people's elaborately planted tanks with moss and other plants covering most of the tank and substrate, how do you people keep the floor clean!?! Any feedback is appreciated.

Just do a surface vac by the plants, and go deeper where you don't think the roots are. Fish poo acts as a natural fertilizer as well. Not the best one, but one none the less.

Ok thanks I'll try that. My water parameters are fine, so I suppose it's not that big of a deal, but I've got a pleco (huge bio-load) along with 10 other smaller fish so there's plenty of fish poo! lol

Back
Top Bottom