How tobput moss or slate on a slate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a slate from my lfs. I'd like to lay Some moss on it. How would I go about that? I was thinking a hairnet?

I think the hairnet would decompose after a little while but it wouldn't be a bad idea. I used fishing line to tie my moss to my slate when I had it in my tank.

I think the hairnet would decompose after a little while but it wouldn't be a bad idea. I used fishing line to tie my moss to my slate when I had it in my tank.
okay, what kind of moss would you recommend or low lighting?

Attachments

• image-1569464005.jpg
    image-1569464005.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:
I use black cotton thread. It holds the moss down, and after a while decomposes. Others have tried screwing a piece of slate to driftwood, and tying the java moss / java fern to crevices in the DW. Once the roots are set, the tie down is no longer needed. If you try this method, be sure to use stainless steel screws.

I use black cotton thread. It holds the moss down, and after a while decomposes. Others have tried screwing a piece of slate to driftwood, and tying the java moss / java fern to crevices in the DW. Once the roots are set, the tie down is no longer needed. If you try this method, be sure to use stainless steel screws.

The only issue is that if you are trying to grow the moss just on slate the roots will never grow into it so you need to use something that won't decompose as quickly as cotton thread.

java Fern

In my case, I have used coconut shells which I attached to slate with clear fishing line. The java fern, I attached with cotton thread. 3 years later, all is well. Java Fern is 6-8 inches long.

Attachments

• user67141_pic62280_1380568815_thumb.jpg
    user67141_pic62280_1380568815_thumb.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom