Humble beginnings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been out of the hobby for over a year now. I've decided to simply set up 2.5 gal storage bins as grow out tanks. All are dirted with osmocote plus for ferts and play sand for a cap. Glutaraldehyde and sparkling water for co2. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434903085.527803.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I purchased a 20 gallon long today and decided to view the progress on my grow out tanks. Thought I'd share.
Tank A : crypt balensae, AR Rosifolia and crypt green, rotala colorata (added later)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435713821.559425.jpg

Tank B: crypt undulate red, crypt tropica, staurogyne repens, ludwigia arcuata (added later)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435714031.133429.jpg

Tank C: hygro pinnatafida, downoi and fissidens fontanus (added later)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435714132.043035.jpg

Sorry for the fogginess, storage bins aren't meant for viewing pleasure. Also, tank A has diatom algae

I love those storage racks, got the same one from target. Good idea indeed. How long until you move it all into the 20L?

I love those storage racks, got the same one from target. Good idea indeed. How long until you move it all into the 20L?

It'll be a minimum of three more weeks. I have a trip coming up and Won't have the time. I have the mopani wood picked out and soaking, the only thing I need is a couple sponge filters (I want red cherry shrimp) and a way to have my 24" light (dual t5 ho from eBay) over the 30" tank. Thank y'all for the kind words!

On my way to Texas for a minimum of 5 days..... I turned the light timer to 5 hours on, 5 hours off, 3 hours on, then night. Hopefully I won't return to too much of a mess.

Before trip shots
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436485045.964215.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436485068.090406.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436485086.153464.jpg

We'll see what happens with no Glut or water changes.
So as to not end on a downer, here's a picture of my 20L with the mopani wood what I think might work best. Constructive criticism welcome.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436485283.969929.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436485318.692284.jpg

Best of luck with your tanks whilst your away..assuming you've done wc's before leaving everything should be ok..I'd check in on em for ya if you were local..

sit in silence...

Thanks for the offer. I would've taken you up on it too. If anything, it'll be a learning experience.

Everything turned out fine from my absence. I came back with everything for a small five gallon tank (minus the mopani). Stingray light should show up today.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437062181.664652.jpg

How did the storage bins work out? Any issues? I am considering making a holding tank from one.

How did the storage bins work out? Any issues? I am considering making a holding tank from one.

It's works great. I'm definitely going to keep doing it. I do believe I'm going to go with one big tote instead of a bunch of small ones (more stable parameters). I'm currently testing at work (I work at Home Depot) how big of a tote I can get without a lot of bowing from water being put in them. People in the break room look at me funny, but it's in the name of science! I have so much downoi from the tissue culture packs I definitely want to keep growing it out in a tote shallow enough for high light penetration but tall enough to fit a pump or impeller for water circulation.

Why not update! Pictures are from before the trip and today

Tank A
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437080242.812797.jpg

Tank B
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437080296.673278.jpg

Tank C
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437080345.688016.jpg

I've taken stuff out of certain tanks to build the five gallon, also threw some Christmas moss into tank C for the eventual 20L build

These are really a decent idea for some cheap easy grow out tanks and long as you have a couple of spare HOB filters. Im thinking about moving my 26 bow into a 16 gallon tub while I potentially change tanks. If I have an extra filter and light id use it as a grow out tank for sure.

I tried a 62 liter sterlite container today. It bowed pretty bad. Were you able to find any decent sized ones that worked?

Unfortunately I believe the smaller ones have a lesser bowing than the bigger totes. I've seen youtube videos of people using brute style storage bins of larger sizes with success, that is, if it wasn't for viewing and on the floor for monitoring. The higher priced bins that were shallower (6-9 inches) seemed sturdier in hand, I haven't gotten to water test those yet though. Sorry you're having trouble with your bins :/

No big deal, we use the bins for moving so we had some extra laying around so I was curious what would happen if I threw some water in it. Let me know if you have any success.

Seems like a little more diy to firm up the sdes could solve the the issue of the bowed tote...

sit in silence...

So my 20 long is about half way set up!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437610470.780119.jpg

It's going to be a bit odd I suppose, being that it's mostly crypts. I had to go to work otherwise I would have finished. Tomorrow I will mount the light to the underside of the racking and I will shop for a filter. Will the planted plus support downoi growth or should I just plant staurogyne repens? Any advise or constructive criticism is appreciated.

So my 20 long is about half way set up!
View attachment 275509

It's going to be a bit odd I suppose, being that it's mostly crypts. I had to go to work otherwise I would have finished. Tomorrow I will mount the light to the underside of the racking and I will shop for a filter. Will the planted plus support downoi growth or should I just plant staurogyne repens? Any advise or constructive criticism is appreciated.

I like how you're using the shelf for your lighting, cool idea...mind I ask what you paid for the shelf?
I'm currently growing downoi & staur repens using a planted+ with a stingray...I got good growth out if the downoi with the planted + but only maintained healthy growth with staur repens after the addition of the stingray with overlapping photoperiod..

sit in silence...

I also have a planted+ over a 20L with downoi and star repens. Growth is slow to medium. It was better for both plants when I ran a fugeray with the planted+. So, yes it will work for downoi. Just don't expect rapid or large growth.

Back
Top Bottom