Hundreds of tiny snails. What are they? Should I kill them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not sure what these are but I have VERY many. I fear the bio load is too large for my tank. What do you think?

Attachments

• DSCF1950.jpg
    DSCF1950.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 82
imissmytruck said:
I am not sure what these are but I have VERY many. I fear the bio load is too large for my tank. What do you think?

What tank do you have? Those are Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I keep them in all of my tanks! They are helpful little snails that don't eat live plants, and burrow. This burrowing helps plants. I'd keep them if I were you, but each person has a different take.

Also, if you have an over abundance of them, that typically means you are overfeeding your fish. This leads for extra food for snails to reproduce.

imissmytruck said:
Thanks Predfan! So how large do they get?

Ummm not too terribly large, unless you are fortunate enough to get them to grow that big! I think the biggest I've seen in my is like an inch.

Great! Thank you! So now I have to find a way to stop the food from sinking so fast. My current is a bit string and for some reason my fish wont come to food...they wait for it to fall. They feed only once a day, but I fear I will have to reduce it too once every three days so they come up. Dunno. Plus I have 4 algea eaters so I have to sink food for them.
1 pleco, 1 Farlowella, 1otocinclus (had 3 but two bit it in the first week), and 1 random snail. I am just very relieved to hear they aren't bad for me! :dance:

In some tanks, I will turn off the filter during feeding time. Helps the fish catch the chow or muster up the courage to go get it.

Back
Top Bottom