hydrilla?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Help I.D. this plant please, Anacharis or hydrilla?

I snagged some of this at the boat ramp because it looked like anacharis. My husband said its an invasive weed and called it hydrilla, is that the same thing? I'm looking for a good background plant. So any input would be appeciated.

well it is in the tank now so we will see how it does! If it does well I will get some more :) I love free stuff.

ashleynicole said:
Heck yeah, maybe I could even use some to trade :)

No more like I think you should take it because it is invasive, and invasive species destroy ecosystems!

No more like I think you should take it because it is invasive, and invasive species destroy ecosystems!

Right, my husband said we would be benefiting in two ways, one, removing an invasive species, and two, making a profit if we sell it online somewhere. I am just happy to get some for free, they sell this for about $5-$10 a bunch at the local fish stores.

I think that might be hydrilla. One way to tell would be to check out this site, it has a good writeup.

Hydrilla Control

The rules about harvesting aquatic plants are pretty cut and dried here in FL, it's not o.k. without a permit unfortunately, and you could face some serious issues if it does turn out to be an invasive and its shipped somewhere.

jetajockey said:
I think that might be hydrilla. One way to tell would be to check out this site, it has a good writeup.

Hydrilla Control

The rules about harvesting aquatic plants are pretty cut and dried here in FL, it's not o.k. without a permit unfortunately, and you could face some serious issues if it does turn out to be an invasive and its shipped somewhere.

Don't worry, I don't have time to ship it or sell it. I work to much. Lol. My husband is a police officer and he knows a few people who work for fwc so we will double check. Either way it is fine to have it in my tank. However I can't take anything from my tank and throw it in any bodies of water. That's where trouble starts.

DragonFish71 said:
Well, the good thing is that if it's anything like elodea, it's a nitrAte sponge. :)

It appears that elodea, hydrilla and anacharis are all sub species of the same type of plant.

My husband said it is just illegal to dump it in any waterways.

This does look the most like hydrilla so one more question. Is hydrilla going to be safe in my tank? It is a nice texture and tougher than common anacharis. I hate that anacharis falls apart that's why I never got it. But this seems like it will do well and looks nice.

So, it is in my tank, and I think it has already grown a little bit, yikes. If it becomes problematic and crowds out my other plants I might just remove it altogether. It does look neat in the background though.

I have often wondered how hydrilla would work, thanks for this post

Well after reading more and more, I decided to take it out of my tank and destroy it. I really don't want it taking over my tank and my wisteria already uses a lot of nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom