Hygro substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattfinn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to take the hygro out of my main tank as its getting chewed to bits constantly.

Any suggestions for what I can fill the void in with. Tank is low-med lighting, diy co2, osmocote root tabs.

I do have some ludwigia but it's still adapting to my tank. It was advertised as scarlet ludwigia but I am not sure what species it actually is.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430987540.865658.jpg
Note chewed growth. I'm not sure what fish it is.

Stock is black neons, German blue Rams, rosey tetras, cherry barbs and a harlequin tetra.

I'd place blame on the black neons. There are a few people I know with them that say they will tear through some plants, specifically hygros and ludwigias in their cases.

I may be biased since it's one of my favorite plants, but I'd throw a bunch of limno. Aromatica in there to take up its spot and add some more vegetable matter to the fish's diets. Broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, spinach, seaweed..all good choices.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply. Yeah some limno would look nice but I already have Mayaca in front of it. The leaf structure there is kinda similar, do you think that would clash?

Also to try and find some limno would be hard haha. Plants in Australia are hard to find....

Thanks for that about the black neons, I'll try and add more plant matter into their diet. They don't seem to touch peas...

My rams ate some of my plants. Carpet plants though, name eludes me this morning. Rotala macandra would look nice.
Edit - glosso! Hooray coffee:)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Well I guess it could be a mixture of Rams and tetras...

Sorry Nigel disregard my question about the limno I got it confused with another limno species.

http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html this is my main list of options for plants I could use.

Was thinking maybe a pogo? I don't think I'd be able to grow the rotala macrandra unless I got the green variety which I think would fit well.

Limno is a cool plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the pogo stellatus too like you mentioned. Especially if you could get the broad leaf variety.

I know you are yanking the hygro but have you seen hygro pinnatifida? It has a really unique leaf structure that would stand out and maybe with increased vegetable matter your fish will leave it alone.

Yeah I'll look for either one of them.

Isn't the pinnatifida fairly demanding?

I've read it's the opposite. I had it in my high tech tank and it wouldn't root and eventually died. I googled it to see why it wasn't rooting though and it seemed a lot of people reported success with it when they kept it in low tech conditions and didn't do anything special. If I can find the website where I read people's experiences I'll post it here.

I'll start looking thanks Nigel I just did another research of the pinnatifida and yeah like you said it's more of a medium light and tech plant. I'm going to have save a bit of dough here most likely going to have to order online if I can find a dealer locally.

Going to aim for the pogo or limno both if possible and if I get the chance for the hygro then I'll get some too.

I'm going to try and exchange some of the killi fry I'm getting for bits and pieces, with the plan to put an add up on an Aussie forum hoping someone will help me out.

We don't see killis here very often as importing them is super hard and so we are very much left with what we have got left in the country as far as stock. Maybe I'll be able to get some credit for a store though I'll most likely have to order the plants through them so they'll charge me a bit more....

Back
Top Bottom