Hygrophila corymbosa a. melting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. So my tank was set up Saturday (plants came in Friday), and since Monday I've noticed that my Hygrophila corymbosa appears to be...melting? Just about all of the more mature, bigger leaves have fallen off, which I just read is fairly normal especially if the plant was not grown submerged. (These are all from Plantedaquariumscentral.com. I'm not sure on her growing methods so this may be a possibility. [Anyone else have experience with this supplier? I had only heard excellent things, but I was a bit disappointed with all of my bunches. We're not even going to talk about the baby tears. .... >> ] ).

Below is a picture of the melting mature leaves, or those few left standing:
hygrophila-c-2.jpg

But what has me seeking advice is that as of this morning, the ends of some IMmature leaves (young, not brand new since being planted in my tank), seem to be starting to melt as well at the tips. Is this normal too, and should I basically expect a lot of the plant to just kinda die and regrow completely? Or am I deficient in something?

Picture of the tips:
hygrophila-c-1.jpg

I've been dosing -- as per the bottle's instructions -- Flourish Excel Liquid CO2 fertilizer each day since Sunday. The tank is 18 gallons, I've been doing almost 2mL (since it's 5mL for every 50 gallons, that's about 1mL per 10 ). ....Am I over-doing it and is that causing something, should I hold back and do every other day?

Sorry to inundate this post with so many questions. Any advice is most appreciated. Also hey, at least I got some new growth 8D?

hygrophila-c-3.jpg

** More specs on my tank, as well as pictures, can be found on this tumblr post: Aquascaping! [Image heavy]

They do look like they were grown emersed. Sadly, any emersed grown leaves on it will melt off and die. It's normal for it to happen and as long as the entire stem doesn't melt away then you should be okay. I just recently bought a plant that lost all of its leaves and completely melted back except for two little tiny shoots. They are slowly growing but it still means the plant is alive.

Well that stinks :\ . Ah well. I'll keep an eye on the stems themselves and hopefully the things don't completely go. If yours is still going, I'll give mine some hope. That's for telling me!

Luckily the pennywort and creeping jenny seem to be doing well for the most part.

Do you know if Italian Val grows emerged, or is it only done fully submerged? I got some of that as well and it's looking to be in a poor state. Kind of yellowing.

Coming from a large plant farm it's a safe bet to say that a vast majority of their plants are grown emersed. I'm not sure specifically about the val but it's a good bet that it is grown emersed

Back
Top Bottom