Hygrophila corymbosa problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just dewey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there, my tanks been set up for roughly a month and I've had my plants and fish in it for three weeks. Every fish and plant is doing well except for my hygrophila corymbosa. Some of the leaves have dark patches that on closer inspection are very thin and weak. The plant quite literally seems to be disintegrating and I've seen this problem in various places across the Internet but there aren't any solutions. I've attached a picture for reference but I'm not sure how clear it is.
This is my first real post since my introduction and any feedback is helpful, cheers in advance.
Dewey

Attachments

• image-4016242175.jpg
    image-4016242175.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2787980248.jpg
    image-2787980248.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 102
What size tank do you have? What type lighting and bulbs do you have? What type of ferts are you using and are you using CO2 or liquid carbon?

What size tank do you have? What type lighting and bulbs do you have? What type of ferts are you using and are you using CO2 or liquid carbon?

It's 30cm x 38cm x 33cm, 28l. The only info I can give you about the light is that it's 11w PL lighting and is built into the lid of the tank. I'm dosing with love fish plant fertiliser once a week and its composed of chelated iron, boron and potassium. I'm not using either co2 or liquid carbon.

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but something doesn't look right. I'm not sure if it's because the plant isn't well, but the leaves don't look right compared to most of the hygrophila species I've seen.

497px-Hygrophila_corymbosa_siamensis.JPG

This is a pretty typical hygro. corymbosa as I've seen it. The leaves get wide fairly quickly and then taper small, or stay the same width for a while and then taper small. Those leaves start small, taper larger, and then get small again. It might just be a trick of the camera though. Kind of odd.

Also, most deficiencies have a leading yellow edge before the leaf starts to disintegrate, but in yours the green parts look like they're just melting. Also odd.

Where did you get this plant? Could it maybe be a non-aquatic?

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but something doesn't look right. I'm not sure if it's because the plant isn't well, but the leaves don't look right compared to most of the hygrophila species I've seen.

This is a pretty typical hygro. corymbosa as I've seen it. The leaves get wide fairly quickly and then taper small, or stay the same width for a while and then taper small. Those leaves start small, taper larger, and then get small again. It might just be a trick of the camera though. Kind of odd.

Also, most deficiencies have a leading yellow edge before the leaf starts to disintegrate, but in yours the green parts look like they're just melting. Also odd.

Where did you get this plant? Could it maybe be a non-aquatic?

I got it with two other plants from pets at home, it was in a tank with all their other plants and I got 3 different types. The others are doing fine though.
It does look quite similar to the picture but I do see what your saying. I've separated the infected plants but kept them in the same tank to see if it makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom