Hyperactive Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My plants went down hill for a while when my CO2 went out because of, what I thought, was a leak. I went to an aquatic plant meeting in my area and they gave me TONS of free plants, my dad fixed my CO2 and I've been dosing them with proper nutrients n stuff.

What ive noticed is all my plants are letting off tiny little bubbles (which Im pretty sure is a good thing hehe) but Ive noticed that some of my plants growing at least 1-2in per day.

Last nite my Cabomba was an inch from the surface, and just now I went to turn on the lights and its hit the surface.
My concern is they are growing tall, but not lush. Is there anything Im doing that would be causing my plants to grow that quickly.

How much light is on the tank, and how big is it? How deep? My plants grow tall and not bushy in lower lighting conditions, it's like they are reaching for it! HTH

By giving them what they need, you are allowing them to grow quickly. For more lush growth, cut them down and replant the cuttings. The more often you cut (prune) them, the more lush they will grow with adequate lighting. Tank conditions would be helpful to know as well as type of plants.

What ive noticed is all my plants are letting off tiny little bubbles (which Im pretty sure is a good thing hehe) but Ive noticed that some of my plants growing at least 1-2in per day.

Pearling - That is a really good sign of healthy plants. Cabomba and some other stem plants are known to be fast growers...probably not as fast as you mention but I have to prune several of mine either weekly or bi-weekly.

My cabomba grew that fast. Keep cutting back and replanting. Eventually you will have so much you will be able to give it away. Many members here will apreciate it.

I thought it was called Pearling, good to know I wasn't making up words hehe

Sorry I didn't give conditions:
75gal with eco-complete and CO2 injection. It has a 250 watt metal halide bulb and eheim filter.

When my CO2 was out, my cabomba kept growing, but very, very thin so I just cut them all in half and replanted them in large bunches but some are just growing so quickly- I didn't think they would grow *that* quickly.

Thanks!

sounds like you are giving your plants what they need so be proud of that fact. i knwo mine grew fast, but nothing like that.

I got so tired of pruning cabomba I took it all out. IME 1-2" daily isn't uncommon with that much light and sufficient ferts.

Anacharis is another fast grower... I am thinking about ridding myself of that plant, or just keeping it in a breeder tank. From what I can tell, it could care less if it is actually planted or not.

Back
Top Bottom