I am getting weird readings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iftimiecatalin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, my situation is as follows. I have this tank. IMG_1679.jpgIMG_1680.jpg

I am trying to plant it and kickstart the nitrogen cycle. I have a shrimp in there. It runs at 24.4°C. Also I use the pump with venturi. I changed the water yesterday because I was getting high Nitrate and Nitrites. Changed 50%.

Today I am getting these readings. IMG_1683.jpg

I will be changing 25% again until you will respond because I don't want to kill the shrimp.(Bamboo Shrimp)

What is happening? I read about the cycling, but I don't remember any stage where both go this high. What do I need to do?

Thank you!

Hi, my situation is as follows. I have this tank. View attachment 298501View attachment 298502

I am trying to plant it and kickstart the nitrogen cycle. I have a shrimp in there. It runs at 24.4°C. Also I use the pump with venturi. I changed the water yesterday because I was getting high Nitrate and Nitrites. Changed 50%.

Today I am getting these readings. View attachment 298503

I will be changing 25% again until you will respond because I don't want to kill the shrimp.(Bamboo Shrimp)

What is happening? I read about the cycling, but I don't remember any stage where both go this high. What do I need to do?

Thank you!

I'd say your mid way - almost done through the cycle. U can do a 50% change without any harm.

I did but it goes up to this the next day:)

Just keep doing changes it will stabilise, I'd expect u to loose the shrimp anyway. Not really ideal having one in there while cycling, keep up with the changes (daily if u have to) and it should settle over the next week or so

Just keep doing changes it will stabilise, I'd expect u to loose the shrimp anyway. Not really ideal having one in there while cycling, keep up with the changes (daily if u have to) and it should settle over the next week or so

Thank you. What would you advise me to keep in there, fish wise, so that it won't die and yet get my ammonia?

Something really hardy like a goldfish. U can take it back to the store after its finished or just put it to sleep with clove oil ;)

Something really hardy like a goldfish. U can take it back to the store after its finished or just put it to sleep with clove oil ;)

Thank you! I plan to make this one a tropical fishtank. The goldfish is cold water, if I am bot wrong. I want ammonia for both cycling and plants.

Thank you! I plan to make this one a tropical fishtank. The goldfish is cold water, if I am bot wrong

Yea that's fine it will survive in 24 degrees, u can also remove all fish etc and dose ammonia manually using ammonia u can buy from the store. (In the cleaning section) I'd research this before adding it tho. You only need a small amount. Even just using fish food works aswell. Just vac it all out once your cycles finished

Yea that's fine it will survive in 24 degrees, u can also remove all fish etc and dose ammonia manually using ammonia u can buy from the store. (In the cleaning section) I'd research this before adding it tho. You only need a small amount. Even just using fish food works aswell. Just vac it all out once your cycles finished

Yeah, got ammonia from the store, but I am worried about what else is in it. Don't want to leave there chemicals,that I won't be able to detect. And I feel that the food path is kind of slow. Btw. I am also adding Easy Life Easy Carbo(1ml daily as it says on the bottle) and King British Aquatic Plant Food(5ml twice a week). Would that influence the readings in any way?

Yeah, got ammonia from the store, but I am worried about what else is in it. Don't want to leave there chemicals,that I won't be able to detect. And I feel that the food path is kind of slow. Btw. I am also adding Easy Life Easy Carbo(1ml daily as it says on the bottle) and King British Aquatic Plant Food(5ml twice a week). Would that influence the readings in any way?

Yep I wouldn't be adding the ferts yet. They won't be needed as your plants will eat the ammonia and the nitrate provided by the cycle. The aquatic food will add to your nitrate readings.

Aslong as it's clear ammonia (not the cloudy bottle) it should be fine. All can be removed by a 70% water change at the end of your cycle :)

I will stop with that then. Guess that's why it's so high and unusual. Thank you. You have been really helpful. I have failed so many times by now, with small casualties unfortunately. But I seem to be getting there. Can't understand how some people(that I know) can just put their fish in tap water and change it once a week and they stay alive. While I give my best to provide a cycled tank with nutrients and I fail. :))

I will stop with that then. Guess that's why it's so high and unusual. Thank you. You have been really helpful. I have failed so many times by now, with small casualties unfortunately. But I seem to be getting there. Can't understand how some people(that I know) can just put their fish in tap water and change it once a week and they stay alive. While I give my best to provide a cycled tank with nutrients and I fail. :))

Yea once u get cycled just do 50% weekly changes and everything should be sweet :) try not to over stock and plant as heavy as possible :)

Back
Top Bottom