I believe that SAEs may be the luckiest fish in the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
IMO the Siamese Algae Eater is a pretty homely fish... Not the kind of thing you point out to your friends that are not in the hobby. Just the same, they seem to have been born with a gift that most other fish should be jealous of.

Some old, wise SAE somewhere once got really hungry and decided to nibble at a tuft of BBA and the rest is history... Today these guys enjoy the best planted aquariums in the world... Have you browsed through the AGA and ADA competition photos?

Where beautiful, odd and expensive fish are just as likely to be thrown in with rigid plastic plants, colored gravel and crappy lighting, SAEs are almost guaranteed a beautiful tank, with lots of real plants and vegetation, great lighting, etc...

Could there be a luckier fish?

lol i totally agree. i bought one of these guys for my 20 gal tank and he has been in heaven ever since. no bba to eat but lots of plants to skim on and algea to graze aswell. he is the hardiest fish i have actually. he stands strong in any conditions that may appear. love the little guy.

i tried to keep 2 but they fought lol. or they would team up on my otto. 1 seems to do a great job ona 20 gal though. when i had my bba i threw in 2 and they demolished it in about a week. it was amazing.

I have 3 in my 72g. They are all nearly full grown at around 3-4 inches. The largest will fight other fish off when he thinks it is over a question of food. Other than that they seem to get along. I haven't seen mine touch BBA, perhaps their tastes change with age?

If I had to be a fish, SAE would be my first choice.

they are lucky, which is good, because they're pretty stupid too.

I recently got back into the hobby, and decided to a planted tank for the first time. The first fish in the tank (after it was cycled, of course) were a trio of SAE's.

I watched them grow up and play, it was good.

A couple weeks ago, I learned why they're also called Flying Foxes. I awoke to find one about four feet from the tank, DOA. For some mystical reason, he decided to jump for it.

I have since added a glass top to the tank. All is good, again.

~rj

ps: i am now convinced the only way to kill them is for them to jump out of the tank, my three survived gill parasites, popeye, pH crash, a failed feeder (went TDY for a month), and ick. Aside, I no longer buy my other fish from the store that I got all the diseases from.

LOL

My luck was not so great. The local Petco had a stock of mislabeled baby SAEs (they were selling them as Flying Foxes, but they are not the same thing) and I went through quite a few trials with them. None survived and ultimately I found another LFS (privately owned) with a healthy adult stock and have had great luck with them since.

- The first 5 I bought were tiny babies from Petco, bagged with 3 Corys. They were all floating in the bag when I got home (a 10 minute car ride). Never seen that before and the Corys were fine
- The second batch of 5 (actually 4, as one was a real Flying Fox) all slowly died in my tank over the course of 1 week. These were little tiny frail creatures.
- The next batch of 4 adults actually did really well, and I still have 3 to this day. Lost 1 after a PWC where I left the water a bit too high (over the lip at the top). He was also practicing his ability to fly. Must have been exhilarating for the second or so he was in the air... As long as I have that lip there above the water line, they do not jump out (no top).

I had three, lost one a while ago, and just lost another in my recent tank move. The third looks OK, but not great, we'll see how long he lasts. The pH of the new water was a little lower than the old water, I acclimated the fish but my loaches and one SAE didn't make it. If I lose this one I will definitely get 2-3 more. Mine used to squabble a little too but nothing serious. It was worse when there were 2, not as bad with 3.

Yep......I'll never have a tank without an SAE.

They are the choosen ones.

I have 5 in my tank. They seem to enjoy each others company on occasion, similar to what corydoras do. I often seem them grazing algae in pairs, kinda odd.

Back
Top Bottom