I bet I am the first person ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRagg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
to kill hornwort.

I know what did it, but that stuff was actually a good deal less hardy than the other stuff I've got in my tank. It happened when I had my ammonia dosing accident and basically added 40 ppm instead of 4 ppm due to errors in calculation.

The next day it was turning more brown, and now three days later it is almost completely brown and limp. I know it wasn't terribly expensive ($2) and it was actually the kind of hornwort that I didn't want (I really wanted the stuff that expands some. This has very tight stalks (if you call them that).

In any case the other 6 plants in my tank are doing okay, I'm guessing that since the hornwort is a floating plant that it absorbs stuff floating in the water (lots of ammonia) much more readily than the others do.

Anyways, I was just curious as to who else has killed one of those plants that is supposed to be so easy to take care of.

I killed it when I tried to do a bleach dip before I put it in the tank. Because hornwort is much finer than larger leaved plants, it will be affected by chemicals in the water more quickly.

I managed to kill java moss and almost kill my java ferns. I also killed all of my anacharis but I was sold the wrong stuff, submersum, I think which is for colder water. How I killed them, I don't know but I did it. I also managed to kill duck weed if you can belive that! After I managed to make a massive colony of it from just 2 little leaves. I think it was starved for nutrients and maybe CO2 but my macros in the tank it was in never dropped below normal.

When I was still green* to the world of aquatic plants, I had snails in the tank and was afraid they would eat my plants. So I added some snail killer - which killed my plants (including hornwort) but not my snails!

*green... get it? Haha I am just so darn funny. :roll:

Nice one Hashbaz. Corny jokes are great. They don't get much better imo.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I'm trying to figure out how to get it out of my tank without getting those little "leaves" all over the place. I think it's a lost cause, and I'm just going to have a messy tank to deal with.

My other plants seem to be doing okay at least. I have one that is definitely not getting the light that it should, but my crypts that I just got are doing very well. They "melted" a little, but I just cut off the stems that weren't doing well and they have taken off.

lets see i have kill all my anacharis is less than three days, killed most of my java fern. some of my other plants arent doing well either...dang potassium deficieny, but i hope to have that under control now and nothing else dies off.

just have to get my dosing schedule and amounts right.

Back
Top Bottom