I do emersed and you can too!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua_chem

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA.

I'm joining you today to show you guys a slightly different way to keep aquatic plants: above water. It's actually super simply, requires minimal maintenance, and grows most plants really well. Jetajockey has done some examples of this lately, but I wanted to share my easy, cheap, and apartment-compatible version.

Materials:

Clamp on light
Tupperware
Cellophane wrap
Dirt (I used Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix)

The dirt can be replaced with gravel if you account for nutrients you might be missing.

Add dirt to tupperware, mix to a goop, add plants.

3eTBx.jpg

This how it started about a year ago. I don't really have very many transitional pictures, unfortunately. Not that there are precisely three nodes of DHG in this picture, and one crypt.

About 6m later:
sjqw5.jpg

These were seeded from a 1"x1" square from the big tub about 1.5m ago. Note the insane growth.

fmnnDce.jpg

GxHWHFO.jpg

The tub right now. I had to whack back most of the crypt's leaves because the tub ran out of nitrates and they looked like crap. You can see a mix of healthy and unhealthy leaves here. Also, can you tell where the 1"x1" square where taken out about two months ago?

NZ5ZayY.jpg

The tubs normally:

QWAPW.jpg

elHede0.jpg

You can grow a huge variety of plants like this, including most foregrounds. It's a versatile little trick if you just like growing plants.

Very nice! I hope my DHG will take off like that, once it takes off lol. I am growing Belem in my 6g using DSM, but apparently it takes forever to get going, but my HC has started to spread a little bit. This is the way to go definitely for DHG and HC though IMO! (Thats the only plants I have grown with it so far!)

This species is almost certainly parvula. Belem will grow slower, but probably quite fast all the same. Most of the foreground plants you buy from the store (at least anything on rockwool) is grown like this.

So theoretically you could grow plants you want to a large size emersed, then transition the back to a submerged state in your tank. Correct?

Nice! I've been planning on doing an emersed setup with HC or a plant tank, this looks cheaper though :) I may start up something like this soon :D

One of the major advantages of DSM is that DSM allows roots to establish themselves before submersion. This is of particular advantage with HC for obvious reasons. An emersed setup will grow more biomass, but it's not directly portable over to a tank, as it will have to establish itself again (but not convert between emersed and submerged).

The first tub spent it's life in the stand of a 40B before I moved to CO. This is handy if you lack room for another tank, or are for some reason unable or unwilling to set up more tanks.

Interesting concept! I'm wondering if this may make carpeting easier. I just got in some dwarf baby tears and I'm having the hardest time getting them to stay in my substrate. Wonder if this is another solution....

A tip for growing HC. Use a repti fogger or a diy fogger.

Flood of interest!

Hi!

This is great that you posted this and timely. I saw Jetajockey's DBT dry start, too.

There are couple projects, which fit in here with this...

So Aqua_Chem, are you just growing these for fun or are you transitioning them into the tank? (or both?) Lighting?

I can get regular HC locally, they don't think they have the dwarf available now. Do you have DBT? How much light is it needing, once it is in the tank especially? About the same for DHG?

My FW tank I am looking at doing this with has a 18.5" light to substrate, in a inline pin configuration for the light. Has 55W x 2 bulbs previously, currently has a 55W 50/50 10,000K and a 36W 3200K (got it for 25 cents). Need new bulbs... LOL

37G tank - Looking at getting the Coralife 65W 6700 x 2.

For in the tank, do you think a CO2 is required or able to do liquid supplementation.

I would love to grow these emersed and transition them.

*****Separate project...

Next week I am going to set up my JEBO "NEW R375" tank (same one as above,) with a built in filter, with plants in the top of the filter, kinda aquaponically, so very interested. The tray is 35.5" long by 6" wide.

This would be for larger plants, for filtering. Will be using a Arrowhead house plant or two, Mint, and a Dwarf Anturium, (open on the rest) and would love to use some aquatic plants emersed, with good filtering capabilities.

I don't really want to keep a bag on them long term when they are in the filter tray. It would be fine for getting them established though.

Was thinking of either a 3/4" layer of Eco-Complete, or to take some Hydroton, for bonsai, if I can find it or smash up some of the kind used in ponds for a base with a little coarse sand to hold the roots.

Everyone comments about the 6700K spiral cfls but I can't find them, they seem to come in 2700K or 3_00k(can't remember atm) I have checked grocery store, blue and orange box stores and wallymart. Also in Colorado. I wanted to get these to install a few above the plants growing out of the filter.

Any and all ideas welcome!!!

Everyone comments about the 6700K spiral cfls but I can't find them, they seem to come in 2700K or 3_00k(can't remember atm) I have checked grocery store, blue and orange box stores and wallymart. Also in Colorado. I wanted to get these to install a few above the plants growing[/QUOTE]

I had trouble finding the 6700K CFL's also, I just settled for 5,000K ones. I checked Walmart, homedepot, lowes and all and no one has it!

Everyone comments about the 6700K spiral cfls but I can't find them, they seem to come in 2700K or 3_00k(can't remember atm) I have checked grocery store, blue and orange box stores and wallymart. Also in Colorado. I wanted to get these to install a few above the plants growing

Really? It took a bit of looking but I was able to find several packages of 6500k CFL's. I currently use two on my shrimp tank.

Everyone comments about the 6700K spiral cfls but I can't find them, they seem to come in 2700K or 3_00k(can't remember atm) I have checked grocery store, blue and orange box stores and wallymart. Also in Colorado. I wanted to get these to install a few above the plants growing

I had trouble finding the 6700K CFL's also, I just settled for 5,000K ones. I checked Walmart, homedepot, lowes and all and no one has it![/QUOTE]

Try Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_2_7?k=cfl+daylight+6500k&sprefix=Cfl+day&page=1&ao=6

I'm using a 13w and a 20w CFL. I'm not sure where the 20w came from, but the 13w came from Ace back in Washington. Walmart doesn't carry them, unfortunately. The 20w is pretty old and should probably be replaced though.

I'm growing it for fun right now. I don't really have a plan for it at the moment. They're growing a dirt right now, which is kind of a pain to work with in regards to harvesting and cleaning the plants. You could do this with pretty much any substrate as long as you find a way to provide all nutrients. Tank water is good for this.

I'm using a 13w and a 20w CFL. I'm not sure where the 20w came from, but the 13w came from Ace back in Washington. Walmart doesn't carry them, unfortunately. The 20w is pretty old and should probably be replaced though.

I'm growing it for fun right now. I don't really have a plan for it at the moment. They're growing a dirt right now, which is kind of a pain to work with in regards to harvesting and cleaning the plants. You could do this with pretty much any substrate as long as you find a way to provide all nutrients. Tank water is good for this.

Probably easier with a garden hose outside, in warmer temps! Than in an apartment! lol.

Thank you.

It varies by plant, but generally speaking, they are growing in an environment with basically unlimited co2 and unrestrained light. They will only grow faster in a high light, high co2, high nutrient environment.

My lights are also on for way longer than you would for a planted tank. Algae isn't a factor.

My setup is super simple. There are some extremely impressive setups out there if you're interested in growing like this.

Back
Top Bottom