I got Kribs!! (buy one get one free... kinda)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
For my birthday, a friend of mine bought me a $15 gift card to petco and petco was having a special- 5 tiger barbs for $3

So, I went in and I was looking around and the guy that was working was REALLY helpful and really knowledgable. And he showed me the kribs that they had and they were so pretty (ive only seen photos of them), however they were $6 a pop and I wasn't totally sure.

Anyways, the guy said they had been there for 8 weeks and was like "I order in these really neat fish, and they just sit here because they aren't .79 cent tetras" and when I said I wanted some he was really happy with my decision.

So, I calculated 3 tiger barbs ~ $2.50ish, 2 kribs ~ $12 = $15ish with tax

This girl rang me up " That will be $8.27" 8O
Either she rang it up wrong, or the guy who helped me only charged me for one

Needless to say, Im very happy with my purchase, I have $7 left and two happy (hopefully breeding pair) of kribs swimming around my 75 gal, planted community tank

WEEE!

Congratulations! Kribs are wonderful cichlids with very interesting breeding behaviors. Give them a nice cave or two and it will be very interesting. Congratulations on your great deal/steal! :wink:

Congrats on the purchase. I beleive PETCO is having a sale. I paid a dollar a bunch for some plants yesterday.

Congrats on your Kribs. As long as they have each other and a cave Kribs are not very difficult to breed. And if you have a mature tank you shouldn't have problems with them growing up. I have 10 fry in my tank right now, which are about 1" already.

My dad is buying some black PVC pipe and aquarium safe silicon so I can make some caves.. Im not sure exactly what Im going to do yet (because I also have some large rocks I could glue together also)

They are doing really well in my tank right now.. and hopefully they will breed so I can get some store credit for this habit.. I mean, uh.. hobby =oP

A clean (preferably new) terra cotta pot turned on its side makes a great krib breeding cave. Push it down into your substrate a little, and maybe line the bottom with some larger river stones, to more accurately duplicate the kind of cave they like to breed in.

That's assuming you got a male and female pair :) Females have a more rounded dorsal fin that isn't as long as the males, and also have a pinkish belly. When the female wants to breed, that belly gets very bright.

I had a very mean male krib, so keep an eye on them. He killed two female kribs after breeding with only one. HOwever this is not the norm, although krib males defend the fry rather viciously...be wary of keeping other fish in a tank with breeding kribs.

I had a similar experience as Malkore with my kribs. My male went through several females before he found one he liked/tolerated, and then I could not have any other fish in the tank, but it was a much smaller setup than yours. Hopefully your tank is large enough that it is doable.

The male is smaller than the female at this point and since its just two, hopefully they get along (they seem to be doing really well right now)

but I plan to makes lot of caves n stuff to hopefully lessin any aggresion in the tank.

but like you said, TankGirl, Im hoping the tank is large enough (with lots of hiding, and plants) that everything will work out.

nice deal! Wish I could land such a deal on buying my cichlids....so much more expensive than what I'm used to...but then, they are worth it. :D :D

Well, I think either I always got lucky or it's really due to my choices (best colored individuals) that I always get pairs. Doesn't matter what kind of fishes (GBRs, Kribs, etc) I got in the past but whenever I bought some they always paired up within no time.

I'm having the opposite problem. I got a second pair of kribs on accident, and the female is keeping the male hiding in the corner. She refuses to have anything to do with him. She rules the tank, and won't let him come near her.

The other pair I have, however, is a pair of really awesome fish. I can't wait til they breed.

Back
Top Bottom