i got new plants, can you help identify any of them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I already had some amazon swords, rotala indica, dwarf saggitaria, and a few other plants i ordered off line. but my LFS had a great deal on bunches of aquarium plants, i couldn't pass it up and they look awesome, but i don't know what they are,:? and they didnt have them labeled.i like to know the names of the plants so i can do research on them so i was hoping some of you guys could help ID them. TIA
Here's the whole tank:
img_413435_0_ba18c30e51eb1bda2e2c4462c2931294.jpg

The big one in the middle, it doesn't look like my amazon swords, is it a sword plant of some sort?
img_413435_1_2e7214fa1f54278018a1fbb46ab56f84.jpg

The three plants behind the driftwood? and the little one in front?
img_413435_2_4bd83666cf57a8982a6e69194b16db3e.jpg

OK, behind the driftwood I see some Anacharis and the broad-leafed plant behind the driftwood is a terrestrial houseplant. The 'swordplant' could be Aponogeton ulvaceus , or one of the Echinodorus, but those plants are not my forte, I am afraid.

the broad-leafed plant behind the driftwood is a terrestrial houseplant

so my LFS sold me a house plant to go underwater? will it be ok to keep it in my aquarium? or should i take it out? its so pretty...

i think the "sword" is a Brazilian sword.. it looks like the one from this website: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=825

what about the ones that look sorta like palm leaves? they aren't house plants too are they?

AshleyNicole said:
so my LFS sold me a house plant to go underwater?

Yes, it is a Maranta leuconeura var. erythroneura, AKA "Prayer plant".

will it be ok to keep it in my aquarium?

I doubt it, although it may survive submerged for as many as several weeks.

i think the "sword" is a Brazilian sword.. it looks like the one from this website: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=825

Unfortunately, it also looks awfully suspiciously like a Spathiphyllum ssp. lily, which is another terrestrial/marginal plant occasionally sold as an aquarium plant.

what about the ones that look sorta like palm leaves? they aren't house plants too are they?

Could be a marginal plant, although further investigation is warranted. Have you posted a similar query on plantgeeks.com? If anyone could give you a definitive answer, one of the plant mavens there could.

I am so mad at the LFS for selling me these plants, :x Im only buying my aquarium plants online from now on. Well at least i got some anarchis out of the deal, although that's usually .89 cents a bunch. :?

Don't get mad, get reimbusred....take this information and the plants back to the shop and demand a refund/credit.
It was only $5 for all the plants... hardly worth arguing a return, it would cost me that in gas to get to the store! :? but i will be more armed in the future.
No need, just get a better LFS. Wink
Yeah, except i live in the middle of nowhere... Lets put it this way, i drive 45 minutes to work one way, and that's the closest hospital to me.
see why online buying is better for me? The cost in shipping just about equals the cost in gas for me to go to the store.

well, it turns out i have to go into town today so im gonna take the plants back. I think im gonna see if they will let me trade them in for some more amazon swords. Thanks for all your help Toirtis.

AshleyNicole said:
I am so mad at the LFS for selling me these plants, :x Im only buying my aquarium plants online from now on.

Doesn't matter. Online aquarium plant stores also carry bog/marginal plants, as does petco/petsmart/etc.

Its one of those cases where teh buyer needs to be armed with sufficient knowledge to select true aquatic plants. Its best to lookup your plants, confirm they're aquatic, then purchase them.

If I don't know a plant, I just won't buy it.

malkore said:
If I don't know a plant, I just won't buy it.

Here, too...I went through some torture a couple of weeks back after seeing a pretty funky looking plant in the tanks of a local garden and pet shop (which doesn't do it justice, this place is monstrous...like 250,000 square feet), but they didn't know what it was, and I couldn't identify it, so I had to leave it behind. But to be fair to AshleyNicole, shops should know what they have and be able to reccommend some good starter aquatics to aquarists starting out with live plants.

well, i got some amazon swords in exchange and some more anarchis to fill in my empty spaces. I actually talked to the manager and he said they order their "Aquatic" plants from a wholesailer and sometimes they get bunches that aren't really aquarium plants, but they don't always know.

Thats why I like living in Canada...almost all the shops order 90% of their plants in directly from Tropica...best selection and best quality anywhere....but sadly, not available in the US because of your country's near fascist plant importation rules (which is the reason I don't ship plants down there).

Back
Top Bottom