I have another lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so $ problems and I don't have enough for the other light I wanted. Can I just get a stronger bulb for the fixture I have? :-/

If it's an incandescent fixture, a CFL is a cheap upgrade. If it's a fluorescent fixture, there's very little chance you'll be able to just upgrade the bulb. You'll most likely need a new ballast.

What's the difference. Mine has two little metal prongs I guess its fluorescent in my 30 tank on my two ten gallons they screw in....two are clear and two are florescent I think.....

Kelvin is used to describe color temperature... I.e. What color the light appears.

Watt is used as a unit of energy... 1 Joule per second. I.e how powerful it is.

So what fluorescent bulb would u recommend then for a 30gal long...I want some low to mediums light plants no CO2

Cobaltskyy said:
So what fluorescent bulb would u recommend then for a 30gal long...I want some low to mediums light plants no CO2

You need to check you fixture and see what wattage of bulb you can run (ie 17w, 20w, 24w etc). This can't be change without replacing the ballast. IMO a 6700K is what you should get.

Cobaltskyy said:

Other places to look at is Lowe's or HD, they have good prices and the bulbs are the same, just take yours with you and look for 18w, 6700K. They just don't say aqua on it and you're spared the 250% mark-up lol.

Unfortunately you're stuck with your current bulb wattage on your fluorescent fixture. Does your fixture have a single bulb or two bulbs? If it has two bulbs, you can grow low-light plants and probably med-low plants also.

Back
Top Bottom