I have ANOTHER lighting question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I promise this is the last time I'll ask about lighting :) lol

But I got this 60 gallon tank and I was planning on getting 108 watts of t5 ho and no co2, just excel.

Now, I realize that is too high without any co2, I'm not ready to start co2 yet though.

So I guess my question is what should I do for lighting now? The tank came with two 24" fixtures with 15 watt t8, but that isn't enough.

I am not going to do pressurized co2 (as if now), with that said, What kind of fixture (and how many watts) should I get now?
any advice is also helpful :)

Thanks so much! :p

That might be borderline with co2 honestly..... it depends on the quality of the reflector, but excel might be sufficient...

You'll hear stories either way on if it works or not. Your options are probably go with less light with two 2xT8 fixtures, try PC, or get the t5ho, see how they work, and be prepared to decrease the light will if needed.

Yep, different people have different experiences with similar equipment. Lots of factors that can't be pre-determined. Since you've already got it, you might as well try it out. If all else fails, you could replace a bulb with an actinic, raise the light, or put some window screens under it to block some.

Im going to go ahead and just do the t5 high output and see how it goes.

But, Mfdrookie, if you had to choose between your fishneedit fixtures and your nova extremes, which would it be?

I think I like the fishneedit fixtures better. The reflectors on the nova's might be a bit better (no idea, just a thought), but the remote ballasts on the fishneedit fixtures make it nice. The fishneedit fixtures are also a bit smaller, and kind of look cool compared to the black, boxy nova.

I wasn't expecting such a fast response! I'll go with the fishneedit and spray paint it black to match. I didn't like the "boxiness" of the novas
Thank you!

Ehh, don't paint it. They look nice in the silver they come in. Plus.. not sure how paint would hold up... they do get a bit warm (as all HO fixtures do).

Ill see how it looks. I never thought about how the paint would hold up, thanks for the tip!

Just idea on painting. If you do decide you want it black, use a lacquer designed for use on ovens or car engines. It can withstand up to 1000 degrees farenheit and can be found at most hardware/auto stores.

jlk said:
Just idea on painting. If you do decide you want it black, use a lacquer designed for use on ovens or car engines. It can withstand up to 1000 degrees farenheit and can be found at most hardware/auto stores.

Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom