I have this brown furry algea i cant kick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've cleaned this stuff off a few times and it keeps coming back it's really ugly and I hate it is there some secret anyone knows to kill it?

Algae Problems

I've cleaned this stuff off a few times and it keeps coming back it's really ugly and I hate it is there some secret anyone knows to kill it?

Hello Jess...

My algae problems were from too much dissolved phosphate in the tank water. I was apparently feeding my fish and plants too much, so there was a lot of extra dissolved food in the tank for the algae.

It was recommended I get some Ramshorn snails to take care of the algae that was already growing the tank. It took a couple of months, but the snails did the job. For future problems, I started to cut back on the amount I fed my fish and plants. I feed and dose no more than twice a week. Phosphates are in both forms of nutrients, the algae favorite.

I didn't mess with the lighting, that would have affected my plants, so I left the timers alone. I did increase my water changes to half the tank volume every week. That removed some the dissolved nutrients.

These are the basics that helped me. I have no visible algae in any of my tanks now.

B

aqua_chem said:
What's your tank's setup? Light, ferts, co2, etc.

55 gal tank got a coral light 10,000 k light I don't use any ferts or co2 I just added my first half does of flourish excel from seacheam this weekend

BBradbury said:
Hello Jess...

My algae problems were from too much dissolved phosphate in the tank water. I was apparently feeding my fish and plants too much, so there was a lot of extra dissolved food in the tank for the algae.

It was recommended I get some Ramshorn snails to take care of the algae that was already growing the tank. It took a couple of months, but the snails did the job. For future problems, I started to cut back on the amount I fed my fish and plants. I feed and dose no more than twice a week. Phosphates are in both forms of nutrients, the algae favorite.

I didn't mess with the lighting, that would have affected my plants, so I left the timers alone. I did increase my water changes to half the tank volume every week. That removed some the dissolved nutrients.

These are the basics that helped me. I have no visible algae in any of my tanks now.

B

I'll look into getting the snails if I can find them and I do 50% water changes twice a week since I have discus in the tank

aqua_chem said:
What kind of fixture though?

Umm.... It's just a regular long tube lights I'm not sure what u mean I replaced the bulb with the coral light 10,000k ocean/freshwter plant growth bulb it's super bright and nice and white

Okay so I let it grow back so I could get some good pics of it it's really bad now I'm going to clean it all off again but it keeps coming back how do I stop it????

Attachments

• image-2164928580.jpg
    image-2164928580.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image-1624406268.jpg
    image-1624406268.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 55
  • image-1045909870.jpg
    image-1045909870.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1024641047.jpg
    image-1024641047.jpg