I Just got my plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
I made an order at AZ gardens about a week ago for:

Java Moss Vesicularia dubyana-3
MicroSword Lilaeopsis brasiliensis-1
Marimo Ball Cladophora aegagropila-1
Java Fern Microsorum pteropus - 1 Lg 2 Sm
Amazon Sword Echinodorus amazonicus -1
Anubias Barteri -1
Anubias Coffeefolia-1
Anubias Nana-1
Rotundifolia Rotala, Indica-2
Foxtail Ceratophyllum demersum-4
Green Cabomba Cabomba caroliniana-3
Water Wisteria Hygrophila difformi-1

and I just got it today, everything looks great except for the 1 lg java fern which is shriveled up and brown, it's massive and was meant to take up the back round of the left side of my tank hopefully it will make a full recovery

I have a 20 gallon high with a 65 watt coraflife light and DIY c02

I put flourish tabs all through out the gravel and put about 1/4th of a capful of seachem flourish in.

What else should I dose with?

This is my first planted tank and I'm really hoping that it goes well
The tank is pretty cloudy right now because I have been stirring everything up planting but I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow
I plan on keeping a small journal documenting how everything goes.

Oh, also the legs that my light is on (Aqualight Adjustable Mounting Legs for the Corallife Single Compact Fluorescent Light (24") 65 watt)
Doesn’t allow me to use a glass top so it's just open.

The legs suspend the light about 5-6 inches over the tank.

What do you guys think is better a glass top or no top?

If I use the glass top there is a back strip over the middle of the canopy, is that going to be a problem for the higher light plants (Amazon sword in the back or microswords in the front)

-Matt

an alternative to a glass top is to use egg crate (available at Home Depot). I myself prefer to ensure that my fish stay in the tank (one less thing to worry about :wink: )

Congratulations on all your plants, you should post some pics once you get everything in the tank. Are you putting any hardscape into the tank as well (driftwood, rocks, etc)?

yes, there is a massive piece of drift wood that runs diagonally across the tank I’m hoping it gets covered with Java moss and a few small rocks in the middle and left side, as long as all the plants perk up (at the moment they are all looking a little drab but they've been through alot) then everything will look awesome.

New plants (PICS)

Here are some pictures of my first newly planted 20g high:

Front
img_703424_0_6b494001ebb4e4996f8cd4e64df5aacd.jpg

Front with a little more light
img_703424_1_addcdc40e3f2acdc969dcd5f0de7ef7b.jpg

Me trying to get my fish to come to the front for a picture
img_703424_2_4cf54a5a8703f16ec83451bc7dd4536c.jpg

My giant Java fern, which didn't do to well shipping
img_703424_3_87bd04cbae4dae8dee16d3d85b93e2b8.jpg

What can I do to help it back to life?

My java moss is yellow now but i'm really hoping it comes around
img_703424_4_a4bd98eb2d7d55c38291df7d3ab2caa3.jpg

What do you think, will it spring back to life?

It should come back. I have a piece attached to a rock, I left it out of water for two days and it wilted up pretty good. Put it back in water and it is bouncing back well and is sprouting a new leaf. It is hard to kill a java fern.

Back
Top Bottom