I just sealed my co2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean when I shake it the bubbles stay there and I see a little bit of it moving through the tube with a water droplet

This is how I did it for a 20 gallon long.

2 cups of pure cane sugar + 1 tsp of baking soda was poured inside a 2 L bottle. Then warm water was added until it was 3 inches away from the top. Solution was shook and let it rest.
In a cup, 1/2 tsp of yeast was mixed with a speck of sugar and some warm water. Solution was swirled or whisked until bubbles were seen.

Add yeast solution to the 2L bottle sugar+baking soda solution and solution was shook gently. Here is a pick.

image-2733744109.jpg

Here is my DIY setup. I plan on adding a "T" connector just before the bubble counter and another check valve. This will allow me to add a second CO2 generator bottle and the check valves will allow a bottle to be removed without depressurizing the system.
I am using an Erlenmeyer flask and a rubber stopper with two holes that conveniently fit two plastic airline connectors. The flask was from my days in the lab; I set up the bubble counter in the early 90s for a pressurized planted tank I had at the time.
The blue silicone tubing will not harden, crack, and leak over time like regular airline tubing. It is also providing a decent seal without the use of glue, caulk or liquid silicone.
5erFm2a.jpg

I don't know where you got your DIY info from OP. Put 2 cups of raw cane sugar and 1 tsp of yeast with 1 tsp baking soda in a 2 liter bottle, fill with lukewarm water, and shake til dissolved. CO2 should be going crazy in an hour or so. What you are using for a diffuser matters too. Some ceramics don't work under DIY pressure. I recommend a powerhead. You'll have to refill this recipe each week or so. I actually use two 2 liters with this mixture. And I don't use a bubble counter, I use a drop checker.

I don't know where you got your DIY info from OP. Put 2 cups of raw cane sugar and 1 tsp of yeast with 1 tsp baking soda in a 2 liter bottle, fill with lukewarm water, and shake til dissolved. CO2 should be going crazy in an hour or so. What you are using for a diffuser matters too. Some ceramics don't work under DIY pressure. I recommend a powerhead. You'll have to refill this recipe each week or so. I actually use two 2 liters with this mixture. And I don't use a bubble counter, I use a drop checker.

That recipe will create a bunck of co2 quickly but will also run out quick. For my 20 I do this and get the best results I take 4c 104 deg water, 1 tsp yeast and a tbsp sugar mix very well and occasionally mix while doing the rest then take take a 3L soda bottle sanitize with simmering water if too hot it will shrink the bottle but you want it hot enough to kill anything that will slow down the yeasts process pour out all but 3c of the water and set aside the poured out water and mix into the bottles 5cups sugar, 2tsp baking soda and 2tbsp molasses quickly cap shake vent so it don't blow up and repeat untill dissolved and let cool to room temp them add the yeast mix shake well fill with the rest of the boiled and cooled water to about 3" from the top this lasts me quite a long time I've had it last a whole month once.

Edit: also remember play around with the mixes more yeast will create more co2 but will use up the sugar and expire quicker. Less yeast will will create co2 slower but use up the sugar and expire at a slower rate. The molasses I just started using to see if it helps it is optional. The baking soda will help regulate the Ph a little. Pm Leif you have any questions about my setup.

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks. People have different recipes for different purposes. I would recommend first making sure your setup works and is tight, then worrying about optimizing.

...And I don't use a bubble counter, I use a drop checker.

You should probably use both.

Back
Top Bottom