i need a cheap substrate....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have read alot about mixing cheap substrates for tank using like clay pots and sand and all that. but what do u mix? my biggest problem is that i want to set up a tank. i am in the process of getting a roughly 30 gal tank. i have access to a light, heater and filter but the only thing i cant cheap out on is the substrate. why u ask? i want black. this eliminates things like PFS and turface. is there any cheap alternative to a black substrate? i have heard of people using black quartz but i dont have access to that near me. any ideas?

I did my 10gal shrimp tank with black "marine" sand. This may or may not be the quartz you are reffering to. I'm really not sure why it's labelled marine, since it's just plain sand that's black. They came in 5lb bags and were $5/bag. I'm sure you're aware of eco complete and there's also Tahitian Moon Sand, though it's a bit on the expensive side.

as evercl92 said at the LFS there is "marine sand" 5lb bags its a solution however tahitian moon sand is $13 at Big Als per 20lb bag, that was the cheapest i found it. if your interested in paying shipping that may be the cheapest placve if you dont like the "marine sand"

the moon sand in my local big als is 39.99 a bag. same with eco. the cheapest sand i ever got was geo systems black sand and it was 22 bucks for 22 pounds. i really like it to but i have never seen it since i bought it. how many pounds of substrate would i need for a roughly a tank 30X15X12(20X15 is the base) we dont seem to have the camculators any more. i was thinking 4 bags would be good. if it is 4 bags then it will cost me 108 bucks shipped to my doors from aquarium plants. but i may be able to call big als and get them to price match it and knock off 10%. i have another site i may also be able to get it from cheap.... now i just need money lol.

How about Seachem Onyx sand? I have also seen references to a black Flourite but have not been able to find it for sale yet.

Found it but it isn't available yet. Aquariumplants has a listing for it.

i want black. this eliminates things like PFS and turface.
Purrbox's black substrates in Aquascaping are mostly Turface MVP I think. Soilmaster Select apparently comes in black too. Both cheap but may (dunno) be difficult to get in Canada.

Turface Pro League Colors

Emerald

I called them and was hoping to get the representative to do a stop in to the forum and give is a reason to pick his brain about this stuff. I will try again to get him to stop by. Until then, give them a call, they were very helpful and directed me to a sales rep that really knew his stuff.

thye first link u put only comes in brown grey and red but i really like the size and colour in the second link. where is the product sold? what stores would carry it? will this have any benifit to the plants nutrient wise? i was thinking 1 bag of eco spread across the bottom will supply a light amount of nutrients to the rest of the substrate. thanks.

It has absolutely no nutrients in it but has one of the highest CEC of any product out there according to the manufacturer. I would soak it in a nutrient rich solution, then drain it, then put it in place. This is why I will use it with flourite or onyx sand. The high CEC of the turface as well as the oxygen capacity, teamed with the nutrients of onyx or flourite and you have a nutrient rich substrate that could be very good for plants.

This stuff should be sold at any lanscaping/groundskeeping company as it is mainly used on baseball and sport fields. The profile field and fairway comes in the same emerald color and is larger. That being said, no one carries it here. Contact them to see if they give you a nearby retailer.

Hopefully I will get the company to do a speel here about the product and maybe we can field test the products for them in turn for free supplies. I just have to get them to reply and come onto AA. Trust me, I will not give up until they either block my email or they get over here and give us some information. I think it will wrok and combined with what we know we could be on the verge of a way to set up a very nice substrate and spend a lot less.

they could make alot of money if they spent the time to market it to the aquarium retailers. its ability to resist compaction could be a very handy thing. i will contact them to see if anywhere near me sells it. thanks fish4all

Back
Top Bottom