I need Dummy's guide to fertilizer dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just recieved my kno3, kh2po4, and Seachem Flourish fertilizer and I need to know how much to add to the tank. I've searched around and all the sites and threads I've found are very confusing to me. This may be asking a lot, but if someone could just give me a dummy's version of dosing in american standard measurments for a 55g medium planted tank with medium light of 160 watts of t12 6500k and diy co2. I'm going to do a big water change so all my levels should be very low. I do have pretty hard water though.
Any help would be fintastic.
Thanks.

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 3/4 tsp GH booster once a week(water change only)
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change
personally i think its a good idea to start with half the amount and build your way up. EI is for heavy planted tank with co2. good thing to remember.

The EI method seems sooo wasteful though. But if that's what it takes....

Well the price of the dry ferts is much cheaper than test kits to properly dose ferts. So its cheaper

The EI method seems sooo wasteful though. But if that's what it takes....
its a start not the final answer. as time goes on change it up for whats best for your tank. some tanks need less of this or that. you paid what $10 a bottle? so for $30 you got what 2 months supply....

for $21 plus shipping you can get a year supply here.
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=cats&Edit=2&EditU=1&Regit=2

$20 plus shipping here.
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html

$25 shipped here
http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/ferts.html

• If you are dosing 60gallons of water with Flourish Potassium you would need 100 ml to get to 20 ppm.
  • If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Phosphorus you would need to dose 48 ml to get to 1 ppm.
  • If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Nitrogen you would need to dose 30 ml to get to 10 ppm.
  • Flourish Potassium is $6 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 5 weeks. Cost would $1.25 a week to dose potassium.
  • Flourish Phosphorus is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle would last you 10 weeks. Cost would be 75¢ a week to dose Phosphorus.
  • Seachem Nitrogen is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 16 weeks. Cost would be 47¢ a week to dose nitrates.
  • Total cost for one dose a week with Seachem $~2.75. Note there is no shipping factored in here and there are some rounding errors.
To dose the same tank with bulk nutrients.

• Nitrates 2¢ a dose.
  • Phosphates .2¢ a dose. Note that is 5 doses for a penny.
  • Total cost for one dose a week with dry nutrients 6.2¢
Seachem products cost 44X as much per week.
Fertilizing the Planted Tank | Nutrients | Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks

Ok, It's starting to come together now. The site I ordered from was currently out of csm+b, so I just got a pound each of dry kno3 and kh2po4. And I got liquid Flourish Comprehensive from Petsmart. So far, I have not seen any improvement in the growth of my plants, but I have not seen any problems either.
I know how to test for nitrates, but is there an easy way to test phosphates without buying a fancy kit?

Back
Top Bottom