Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i need help with lighting and plant growth

I have a 24 in glo light that doesnt seem to be doing the trick. The tank spreads about 6 inches past the light on each left and right side. I have lots of hornwart that doesnt seem to be getting much light. I find myself 'stirring up' the hornwort to provide enough light for the plants. Any lighting fixtures that i can put inside my overhead fixture that will provide substantial lighting? I also have jave fern and amazon sword that seem to be doing fine. But they are in consistent lighting. I also find myself turning the light on around 6am and not turning it off until 10 or 11pm. Plz help if you can! Really want to get my Aquascape properly done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130615_174757.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	180561

Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Helloooo?!! Can anyone here help me?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I briefly looked it up online an ur hornwort should do just fine in any light it seems pretty resilient the only thing else i did find is it says it will evenly die without frets but im new too this too look around on the Internet but from what I can tell u should be able to grow it in pretty much light but if u want it to grown faster u need more light what size is ur tank an watts of ur lights
Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry for the grammar issues im on my first cup of coffee
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalips124 View Post
I have a 24 in glo light that doesnt seem to be doing the trick. The tank spreads about 6 inches past the light on each left and right side. I have lots of hornwart that doesnt seem to be getting much light. I find myself 'stirring up' the hornwort to provide enough light for the plants. Any lighting fixtures that i can put inside my overhead fixture that will provide substantial lighting? I also have jave fern and amazon sword that seem to be doing fine. But they are in consistent lighting. I also find myself turning the light on around 6am and not turning it off until 10 or 11pm. Plz help if you can! Really want to get my Aquascape properly done.
All those plants are low light plants. So the hornwort is floating? Hornwort is one of the hardiest plants you can get. Out of all the plants you have, the amazon sword will need the most. I usually plant my hornwort and it grows up pretty nice. That long of light period is waaaaaayyyy too long. That will cause serious algae growth. I recommend marineland single led light. They are pretty bright. But if you are willing to spend a bit more, aquaticlife lights are even better and brighter. Only leave your light on for less than 12 hours. Any more will cause different kinds of algae to sprout. One of the worst you can get in bba and they will make your plants look pretty ugly.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, plant, plant growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com