I need some help with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gal discus tank. I got a couple plants in there, but they are not thriving. I don't want a whole lot of complicated stuff goin on, but I do want to be able to keep more types of plants and have them a little healthier. I was thinking of upgrading my bulb (I have a regular flourescent bulb in there), and adding fert tabs. Can I use fert tabs in small gravel? Are they going to release anything harmful to my discus? What type of bulb should I get?
Thanx!
I took this picture 3 weeks ago after I added some new plants
img_800053_0_38ca619f02967baba54bfbec9dc77367.jpg

I was thinking of upgrading my bulb (I have a regular flourescent bulb in there), and adding fert tabs.

Chances are good that you have an 18w or 24w bulb in there. An upgrade is a good idea. Fert tabs will work in the gravel you have pictured.

Are they going to release anything harmful to my discus? What type of bulb should I get?

No, they just release a bit of nutrients over time. Do you have an All-Glass tank? If you do, this light strip could fit the bill.

I'm not looking for a whole new light strip; just a bulb. Is it possible to get a higher output bulb that fits into the fixture I have? (it's a regular strip light that comes with the tank kits)

Problem with NO florescents is that they don't increase in wattage in relation to the size you currently have. The highest florescent bulb is 40w and it will be 48" long. Changing the light strip over to CF is probably the cheapest way to increase your wattage.

You can't increase the light output just by replacing the bulb. The fixture determines how much light can be generated. To get more light you have to either upgrade the fixture or mod your current one.

That being said, standard fluorescent bulbs do need to be replaced every 6-9 months. The color spectrum of the bulb will slowly shift making the light that is output less usable by the plants.

You can also just add a second striplight to the tank. I have done that on two of my 30 gallon long tanks, regular strips, but two instead of the one.

Thanx for all the feedback guys. I'm gonna try fert tabs and see how that works out, cuz I really don't wanna dump $100 into a new light right now. I'm looking for a house; so no extras for awhile.....

Back
Top Bottom