I need y'alls advice on C02 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
The liquid CO2 supplement just isn't cutting it because I run out and it takes me a couple of weeks to get another bottle, but by that time I have problems. Anyway, what is the best system considering an efficiency and price equillibrium and where can I find it? This is for a 60 gallon.

Last edited:
I don't use injected CO2. Many of my club members use either Paintball rigs or full on CO2 set ups. Paintball is the cheaper way to start.

Your tank is too large for DIY CO2 to be effective AFAIK.

For now you could buy Glut aka Metricide 14 much cheaper.

"A couple things you need to know if you get the Metricide 14 Day Solution. First is you have to store it in opaque, completely light blocking containers as light breaks down the Glut and renders it useless. Secondly it comes with a small activator bottle which you want to throw away and never use.

Just mix the Metricide 14 at a 1:1 ratio with RO or Distilled water. The amount you use in your tank depends on how high lighting is, how many plants and especially how many fast growing plants there are, and how high your bio-load is. Normal dosing is 1ml Glut per every 10g of water. Honestly 1ml of Glut per every 5g of water works very well for most tanks. If you have a high light tank or lots of plants, especially fast growing ones then usually 1ml of Glut for every 2 gallons of water is needed. The highest light tanks need 1ml Glut to every 1 gallon. Even the directions on the Excel bottle states more may be needed in high production tanks. I've done a lot of testing with Glut and the above amounts is what I've found to work. Another thing is if you ever truly overdose Glut or Excel your tank water will cloud up shortly after adding the Glut or Excel but will be clear by the next day since liquid carbon only stays in solution 12-24 hours." Via Rivercats I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a paintball setup and it works great. It's on a 20g though. It should still be fine in a 60g but it just won't last as long. Meaning you will have to fill up the paintball tank more often. If you get the larger co2 tanks (5lb,10lb, etc) they will last longer. The larger the co2 tanks, the more expensive the equipment.

I got the entire paintball setup on amazon. I filled the tank at dick's sporting goods. Sports authority can fill it too.

I use an Aquatek premium regulator with cool touch solenoid and a 5# co2 cylinder alog with a power head for diffusion. About $200 for whole setup and has been running great. Highly recommend it for the money.

The whole paintball setup cost around $130. Of course you can get a cheaper regulator than the one I got (aquatek paintball regulator) which would lower the cost to around $70-80. You can also get an adaptor so that you can connect a regulator that's meant for larger co2 tank. Filling up my co2 tank (it's 24oz) cost only $4.

I ordered the same AquaTek regulator listed above but with a 24 oz paintball tank and paintball adaptor. Would have ordered a 5# tank but still trying to figure out where to get refills locally. Sports Authority and Dicks Sporting Goods are nearby and I can get refills there. This is for a 20 gallon long tank.

So when you guys say paintball setup iI am not sure what you are talking about.

Like buy a paintball co2 tank (amazon sells them) and attach a regualtor to that tank. Then just hook the tubing up to the diffuser and there, you have a paintball co2 setup.

It's almost exactly like a normal co2 setup except a paintball setup is cheaper and requires smaller (and cheaper) attachments. A paintball setup doesn't run as long as bigger tanks though.

Back
Top Bottom