I think this forum made me want LEDs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prinzlerr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So guys,
after the input I've received from here the past couple of weeks, coupled with research here and everywhere else, in addition to the part where I somehow blew my primary PC bulb randomly, conjoined with the fact that I've read sketchy reviews on the cheaper bulb replacements that I was planning to go with...I'm starting to heavily debate on LEDs.

To recap, I've got a 46 gallon bowfront: 2x96w PC (6700k was primary bulb, with 10000k for burst), pressurized CO2 (newly added), eco-complete/flourite mix (no idea how much; more on that in a minute), and I'm currently dosing Excel while finishing up my research on dry ferts (PPS-Pro vs EI). I've had the current light fixture for a while, but have kept an eye on LEDs for quite some time. I was basically waiting on the prices to drop, which they now have.

While browsing the web yesterday, I came across the Current USA Satellite+ fixture for freshwater, and was pretty much amazed. I always thought that the cloud cover/thunderstorm effects/etc was reserved for the high end reef setups that would set you back half a grand or more, but I guess such is not the case.

So, I'm looking for advice. First and foremost, I was wondering if anyone has ever used Odyssea replacement bulbs. They offer them for my Coralife fixture, but I read in a couple of places that their fixtures tended to be a bit sketchy. Would the same be said for the bulbs? A replacement Coralife bulb is $50, whereas the Odyssea is $20.

Secondly, I'm wondering if the PAR rating on the Satellite would be good enough (single fixture to start). Many of you here have said elsewhere that Finnex offers a more powerful light. The PAR rating on the Satellite, per Current USA's website, is 28 at 18". I have a rather deep substrate base, so my total tank depth varies between 17-19". I would prefer not to be limited on plant options, at least for the most part.

What do you guys think? Is it time to make the switch? Is the Finnex THAT much more powerful in regards to my current depth? I'm no expert at light readings, to say the least. I should also probably add that the reason I'm so fixated on the Satellite are the customization options; they look really cool.

A 46 Bow is pretty deep. From your equipment description sounds like your getting pretty advanced. You are not going to be happy with less than med-high to high light. Why have CO2 without the rest of the goody equation. lol If you go LED. With the Current or Finnex you will need two fixtures to get med-high to high light to the lower levels. For a bit more money, check out BuildMyLED.com. There XB series for your length would be about $360 but one fixture would give you almost twice the light of two of the others at 100%. They don't have the "gee whiz" lightning modes but are programmable dimming and very solidly built. The Current and Finnex are great lights with good quality. But for sheer power the BML's are some of the strongest available.
Brian_Nano12g is a great source for info on LED's. Look him up. OS.

+1 on OS's input. BML will grow anything you throw at it on pretty tall tanks as yours. Especially if you have any desire to grow high light stem plants that develop beautiful hues of red. However, with 28 PAR of a single Sat+, you'll be limited to low light tolerant plants. With more than 30, roughly 54 to 56 PAR with two Sat+ lights, you'll definitely broaden your growing potential. That's enough PAR for even all the carpeting plants I can think of like HC, UG, DHG, and the alike. Getting reds to develop would be challenging at that light level though.

So making a decision depends on your goals and budget. Finnex, as of right now, is my least favorite of the three. Still a very nice and capable light with good punch for the value, but I dislike it's inability to dim. But that's what i find to be a selling point "for me." So I'd go with BML (with dimmer) or 2X Sat+ out of personal taste... Doesn't mean I'd never get a Finnex Planted+ one day in the future. I do have MTS issues, but that's beside the point ;)

One more option, if you're not in dire need to buy now, Current's sister company Ecoxotic will be releasing a high output version of the satellite led+ any time now. It should have BML power (or near it) with controllable RGB's for that "Gee Whiz" wow factor as OS puts it. Price point and release date TBD.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wish the Ecoxotic would have come out by now so I could have checked it out. But with the issue of Ian's light I went ahead and committed to a BML. The "gee whiz" factor may not be necessary but would be fun to have it. lol I mean, "Gee Whiz!, That's So Cool!". OS.

A 46 Bow is pretty deep. From your equipment description sounds like your getting pretty advanced. You are not going to be happy with less than med-high to high light. Why have CO2 without the rest of the goody equation. lol If you go LED. With the Current or Finnex you will need two fixtures to get med-high to high light to the lower levels. For a bit more money, check out BuildMyLED.com. There XB series for your length would be about $360 but one fixture would give you almost twice the light of two of the others at 100%. They don't have the "gee whiz" lightning modes but are programmable dimming and very solidly built. The Current and Finnex are great lights with good quality. But for sheer power the BML's are some of the strongest available.
Brian_Nano12g is a great source for info on LED's. Look him up. OS.

Thanks for the info. I guess one of my concerns with LED is the fact that I'm still relatively new to them. I've heard good things from BML, but have yet to check them out. Despite the fact that I absolutely hate it, I have found that patience and knowledge is absolutely vital in this hobby, lol.

+1 on OS's input. BML will grow anything you throw at it on pretty tall tanks as yours. Especially if you have any desire to grow high light stem plants that develop beautiful hues of red. However, with 28 PAR of a single Sat+, you'll be limited to low light tolerant plants. With more than 30, roughly 54 to 56 PAR with two Sat+ lights, you'll definitely broaden your growing potential. That's enough PAR for even all the carpeting plants I can think of like HC, UG, DHG, and the alike. Getting reds to develop would be challenging at that light level though.

So making a decision depends on your goals and budget. Finnex, as of right now, is my least favorite of the three. Still a very nice and capable light with good punch for the value, but I dislike it's inability to dim. But that's what i find to be a selling point "for me." So I'd go with BML (with dimmer) or 2X Sat+ out of personal taste... Doesn't mean I'd never get a Finnex Planted+ one day in the future. I do have MTS issues, but that's beside the point ;)

One more option, if you're not in dire need to buy now, Current's sister company Ecoxotic will be releasing a high output version of the satellite led+ any time now. It should have BML power (or near it) with controllable RGB's for that "Gee Whiz" wow factor as OS puts it. Price point and release date TBD.

I think I'm going to start using the term "gee-whiz factor" in everyday conversation, haha.

I guess I was misled on information, as I was under the impression that 28 PAR was suitable for med/high light plants. The LED guide posted above considers 80-120 to be high light. Red plants are definitely something I intend to try keeping, as they are truly stunning if in good conditions. Back to research mode, lol.

Ecoxotic has a pretty solid reputation in the saltier side of the hobby. Numerous people swear by the Stunner line for a supplementary light source. I'll look into that as well, and see if I can hold off until they release it. I'm currently using an old 10k bulb as I blew the much newer 6700k, which is the reason for this entire dilemma.

Update: I got tired of waiting for Current to release their new model, as the old 10k bulb is an algae machine. So, I ordered a new 6700k PC bulb that shipped yesterday. While checking craigslist today, I see an ad for 2 of the 24" Satellite+ setups.

To all of the LED pros: would this be a good setup for a 46 bow? I'm thinking I could stagger them, and have one close to the left side, and one on the right, with higher light plants in the middle and low-med on the sides. My depth from the top of the tank was 18-19" if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom