I want to put some nice plants in my 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have guppies right now (6) and a pleco, with blue and ivory rocks. I just picked up some plants from the LFS that I want to try out...I got some bacopa and cabomba. The Cabomba is in case my females decide to sprout soon. :)

I'll take a pic of my tank so you can see what it looks like. It's very drab. I don't know much, so I want to see what kind of decorators I have at my disposal. ;) WHat do you think would work well? Pics to come by Saturday...

-j

With the lush greens of the plants that you are getting, I would suggest some rich brown burled and/or knotted driftwood or mangrove-wood. Something with lots of "character" like knots, holes or other funky shapes. Nice to watch and a fun place for your fish to swim around.

Can't wait for the pics. :D

if you get some new driftwood you may have to do frequent water changes to clear up the "tea looking" water. it looks very nice though.

Michael,
You are correct about the "tea looking" water.

What you can do to reduce the tannin release, is soak the driftwood in a spare tank or a clean (soap-free) plastic bucket of tap-water for a few days. I changed the water every couple of days and it was gone in less than one week.

java?

You might get some java moss attached to the driftwood...it looks nice IMO. It's not very demanding either.
Logan J

Don't forget after adding rocks & wood etc, you're fish will love basic ornaments. Mine are currently obsessed with ' ruins ' , basically, anything with a nice place to hide. Also, ornaments they can glide and swim through are a popular favourite.
The theme is completely up to you at the end of the day.

Well, this is exciting! I noticed this morning that the bacopa is turning green now instead of the brownish red most of it was yesterday. I also noticed that my kids (the fish) had pulled up all of the stalks. Do you suppose keeping the weight on it without planting it for a little while is ok, until it gets a nice root base, or will they eat the roots as they sprout? I was surprised to see most of the stalks sprouting roots already!

-j

Here is a pic! The gupppies have since uprooted the bacopa, so I have to find a way to secure it. As you can see, the cabomba needs to be weighted down. :)

Remember, this is a "work in progress" ;)

There is nothign wrong with that tank IMO.

:)

Might put a background on it so you not see all the way thru but thats just personal preference.

Thats a monster tank for those little guppies.

I have seen a product online and in fish shops that is basicly lead of some type that you can use to wrap around the plant bottoms to keep it secure.

Not sure how safe it is given its lead but they sell it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom