ICK???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
K just bought hatchets and THANK GOD there not in the tank yet, still acclimating. Ick?? Should i return them or treat them??

I can't really tell from the pictures, but I would say to return them. Treating any fish has the potential to kill the fish, and do you really want to pay for sick fish? Take them back and go to another fish store.

Return? K. Ya only the big one has it, in the bottom part of the picture. Problem is, not many stores have hatchets around here

It's totally up to you weather you want to treat or return it. If it was ME I would take it back. It's one thing if you've had them in your tank for a while and you're not sure where the disease came from. But if half of them die then it is money out of your pocket.

I am very particular about where I buy and I know disease is part of the hobby, but I would not pay for a fish that is obviously sick. If one is sick the others are bound to be and just may not be showing symptoms yet.

Again it is your choice, you can put them in QT and treat them, But most treatments are two weeks. And then you should leave them in a well seeded QT tank for an additional 2 weeks after the treatment is done to ensure that it doesn't come back.

Other suggestions? Seems like only one has it, and i dont want to yet them out of the bag yet into the tank...i no ich cant live without an organism...but still

ashleynicole said:
It's totally up to you weather you want to treat or return it. If it was ME I would take it back. It's one thing if you've had them in your tank for a while and you're not sure where the disease came from. But if half of them die then it is money out of your pocket.

I am very particular about where I buy and I know disease is part of the hobby, but I would not pay for a fish that is obviously sick. If one is sick the others are bound to be and just may not be showing symptoms yet.

Again it is your choice, you can put them in QT and treat them, But most treatments are two weeks. And then you should leave them in a well seeded QT tank for an additional 2 weeks after the treatment is done to ensure that it doesn't come back.

Ya, ill return them..thanks! They were on like a top shelf, and didnt see the small spots untill i got home! Ill take your advice thanks! I have a 14 day warentee too

Ok i just returned them, thanks for the advice..im sad tho haha. Ill never find hatchetfish again ;( haha

Gboy66 said:
Ok i just returned them, thanks for the advice..im sad tho haha. Ill never find hatchetfish again ;( haha

You can order some online? Or maybe someone on here can help you find some!

OBEYtheFISH said:
You can order some online? Or maybe someone on here can help you find some!

Ya hn1 said he will have some. And it costs TONS for shipping on live aquaria

Ya hn1 said he will have some. And it costs TONS for shipping on live aquaria
Severum mama and Hn1 are great people to order from, I am very happy with my purchases from them :) and their shipping prices are super reasonable.

Hey question, for ick, if there are white spots on the fish's body, like torso and stuff, but no spots on the back fins, is that ick? Doesnt ick usually go to the fins first?

Gboy66 said:
Hey question, for ick, if there are white spots on the fish's body, like torso and stuff, but no spots on the back fins, is that ick? Doesnt ick usually go to the fins first?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's ick raise the temp. of the tank steadily & some marine salt might also help

Ok...looking VERY closely at all my fish and can see that most have maybe 1 or 2 whits spots. Ick. Soo i turned the temp up but problem is that it my gage doesnt say the temp on it, just this ways hot this ways cold kinda thing. I dont want to add salt because i have plants and tetras i know dont like it. Did i do it right? Any ideas on what to do?

Yes, but im pretty sure most of the fish have at least one white spot.

Gboy66 said:
Yes, but im pretty sure most of the fish have at least one white spot.

Take the plants out
Do a 50% percent water change then raise the temp in main tank & QT tank
Add aquarium salt a table spoon per gallon (but I'm not a 100% sure)

Back
Top Bottom