Ick treatment and plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It generally says on the bottle or box, so check that, its hard to say as there are lots of ich treatments, what type is it?

My guess its something that was purchase at a large store like wal-mart or meijer cuz it was givin to me from a friend thats against chemicals now and she shops there all the time

Oh and no it don't say on the bottle but im stuck in my second ick infection but stuck in a tough situation....4 catfish 2pictus and 2columbian sharks....and a pleco and im told ick meds cant be used and will kill scaleless fish....but i cant use salt cuz i also have 5 plants in the tank....any suggestions?

Oh and no it don't say on the bottle but im stuck in my second ick infection but stuck in a tough situation....4 catfish 2pictus and 2columbian sharks....and a pleco and im told ick meds cant be used and will kill scaleless fish....but i cant use salt cuz i also have 5 plants in the tank....any suggestions?

I used heat only and it worked well for me. Do some googling and see if this treatment is compatible with your fish. Slowly raise the temp to 86 over a few days, keep it there for a weeks time AFTER the last signs of ick, then slowly lower the temp back to normal over a few days time. Do water changes frequently during the treatment.

I could have it a little twisted but ive read also that doesn't kill it it just increases its process and it drops quicker to the gravel and then it multiplies to seek a new host. Therefore it may come back is how i took it. Whats weird is i do weekly water changes already and everytime i do i go ahead and siphon the gravel while i'm there so i thought i kept a fairly clean tank. I did add a few new fish lately so i may have got it from one of three stores. Ive started raising the temp also but i guess im just stumped to as of how to KILL it in my situation. Anyone familiar with scaleless ick medicines?

I could have it a little twisted but ive read also that doesn't kill it it just increases its process and it drops quicker to the gravel and then it multiplies to seek a new host. Therefore it may come back is how i took it. Whats weird is i do weekly water changes already and everytime i do i go ahead and siphon the gravel while i'm there so i thought i kept a fairly clean tank. I did add a few new fish lately so i may have got it from one of three stores. Ive started raising the temp also but i guess im just stumped to as of how to KILL it in my situation. Anyone familiar with scaleless ick medicines?

From what I've read about it, the ich parasite is not susceptible to any treatment while attached to a host. It's when it's in it's "free floating" stage that it can be killed by medicine or heat. Heat will speed up the life cycle of the parasite while its attached, and kill any free floating ones, as well. I tried ich medicines once (ich attack) and it just smelled bad, colored the water, and didn't save anyone from ich. On a later date, when I read about the heat treatment, I tried it, and it worked out great. Just my little bit of experience. I've only had it twice, a while back, and IMO not adding weird stuff in a bottle vs adding weird stuff... Well, you know... ;)

Last edited:
Heat is the best treatment for ich by far. I would however leave the temp at 86 for at least 2 weeks. The ick cure is most likely a metronidazole medication which is a common treatment for ich. It shouldn't harm plants either.

I've always had great luck with malachite green/formalin (QuICK Cure, Ich attack, etc). I've also melted a few plants with heat before, so I've always been wary of it. Fish aren't to fond of it either.

I've always had great luck with malachite green/formalin (QuICK Cure, Ich attack, etc). I've also melted a few plants with heat before, so I've always been wary of it. Fish aren't to fond of it either.

Thank you! Someone who advocates Ich treatments lol they do work, it's a lot of "medicine man" garbage that's out there gives a bad rep to ALL meds regardless of what it's for or contains.

Back
Top Bottom