I'd like to do a small 5 gallon planted tank... what do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a community betta tank enthusiast I wish you luck!! I suggest keeping floating plants and moss- I like java and flame moss, also a fine grade sandpit with a border of broadleaf anubis would give you a stage to feed your corys- they are so much fun to watch eat- if you have fine enough sand and drop a couple of shrimp pellets in there they will wrestle and bury themselves and frolic while your betta will swoop from plant to plant breaking apart your corys feeding frenzy from time to time it's awesome!!

It really seems that your source is a trusty consultant store. I am checking their inventory, some of the stuff they have = impressive!!

Can't wait for the pictures.

Here is the little guy.

Also, I am a week in, and the vals don't seem to be doing very well. Many of them are melting. The crypt and ludwigia seem to be doing fine. I have hairs growing on the tiger lotus bulb. The light is on 8 hours, dosing excel and ferts everyday. Also have root tabs. Is this common for vals to melt at first?

Attachments

• IMG_20130425_121201.jpg
    IMG_20130425_121201.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20130425_121454.jpg
    IMG_20130425_121454.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20130425_121214.jpg
    IMG_20130425_121214.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 53
The Vals are being a collateral damage from Excel. Mine suffered a lot to the point where I almost removed them to the trash can. Eventually, they adapted and came back strong. Took over 5 weeks since I changed the regimen of Excel dosage (following Rivercats dosage, it almost tripled from what I was using). It is difficult to predict, but the best way to predict a future outcome, is observing past ones. I believe your vals will adapt to the intensity of the liquid carbons and stop melting in time.

Your betta is really nice. The pictures are blurry, but I do not see any signs that it was in bad shape at any given time. Mine, when I got, had rotten fins, the colors were pretty dull and he was small due to confinement. Good thing yours just came as a happy specimen.

Vals need iron rich fertilizer and CO2. Seachem flourish excel and trace every couple of days as a fertilizing regimen (or something elementally similar) along with proper lighting (vals are kinda picky) and a layer of laterite underneath with porous grow substrate capped with regular substrate and some patience. What's your lighting set up like?

Vals need iron rich fertilizer and CO2. Seachem flourish excel and trace every couple of days as a fertilizing regimen (or something elementally similar) along with proper lighting (vals are kinda picky) and a layer of laterite underneath with porous grow substrate capped with regular substrate and some patience. What's your lighting set up like?

I have a Finnex Fugeray, my substrate is eco complete.. If the vals don't succeed I might try some anubias or something.

They are indeed melting due to the excel. Mine did that as well. I finally got sick of them and just hacked them all off at the substrate level and left the roots. They came back about a week or so later growing well and sending out runners. Give them time as rc said.

Here is a pic tonight. He is developing more red already. This photo was captured with the tank light off, which is why the blue isn't as bright. He is really starting to fan out his fins. He is still scared of the finger monster that touches the glass though.

Attachments

• IMG_20130426_011157.jpg
    IMG_20130426_011157.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom