ID the plant plz!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShobhitJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I went out for a month vacation and left my aquarium light on. When I came back, I noticed this plant in the tank. Also after coming back, when I changed the water I noticed it grew like crazy in the night. Can anybody plz help identify this plant and suggest if this is dangerous in any way?

Thanks

Attachments

• 4E9FB6D7-B551-4061-9C05-AAAF484F670E.jpg
    4E9FB6D7-B551-4061-9C05-AAAF484F670E.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 72
It looks like a type of bladder wort I've seen in a lake around here. I couldn't tell you which species.

Thankyou Goatnad. Would you suggest I get rid of it? The way it looks, I am concerned it may choke my other plants.

I would recommend removing it. Be careful when pulling it out. It's a brittle plant and will break apart easily. It can be a pain getting rid of it because of this.

I think Goatnad is right. Utricularia species are actually carnivorous. They're a cool plant in concept, but I think they're a nuisance in the aquarium. I know I hate having it in my shrimp tank. Been plucking out hunks from my hydrocotyle mat for years now. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom