id these plants please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thinkits a Brazilian pennywort?? But im not too sure. My lfs had them on a trade in from someone who grows it locally & they didn't know either-- it definitely has a nice look. The 2nd plant I bought a few weeks ago,I haven't been able to find anything online that even remotely resembles it.hopefully someone here can help me :)

Maybe I can try to get better pics... from what I looked at online it doesn't look the same as hornwort.

My phone battery is so low I cant even take a picture, anway the third pic I posted is of the small rounded ends of some of the stems.(they almost look like flower buds) & some of them have a purple color to them.I'll get better pics asap

I agree with Try-na. Hornwort and foxtail are the same thing--ceratophyllum. The pale or discolored tips happen when there is a major change in lighting as in a disruption from the grower to the store, or the store to your tank. It won't root in the substrate as it is really a floating (or barely rooted) plant, but can be poked in to make a nice background clump. Some people hate it because it can be messy as it drops its needle-like leaves, but I like it for my goldfish to nibble on and to shade the substrate (as a floater) and reduce algae in the coldwater tank. I also use it to shelter fry in the tropical tank.

Does foxtail/hornwort ever NOT float? This is pretty heavy. I took a section out and it just sinks.

If it is very branched (clumpy) instead of individual long strands, it will sink nicely and makes a nice background plant. In the wild, it will grow from very shallow roots in a long strand, eventually breaking off in rough water and continue to grow as a floating plant.

I have mine weighted down in the back corner then I have strung it all across the back of my tank. It hasn't dropped its leaves but I've only had it for 2 months. And in those 2 months it's probably tripled in size. Grows like crazy!

I also have plant 1 & it is listed as one of the harder plants to grow. Mine isn't thriving but it's also not doing poorly. Amazing as I do not fertilize or have special lighting. I have a small DIY CO2 when I remember to change it but that's it

Back
Top Bottom