Idea for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had my 55 gal FW community tank now for about a year now and I want to switch over to real plants. I've seen some really really cool planted tanks. I'd like to see some of your planted tanks and maybe get some ideas from them.

Thanks!

Come on people I know there are some really cool planted tanks.

What type of fish do you have in your stocklist? It would help to know your lighting situation a little too...

What type of fish do you have in your stocklist? It would help to know your lighting situation a little too...

Well I just wanted to see people's planted tanks and how they organized there tanks and what they had in them(like driftwood or anything else)

3 gold barbs
3 bst tetra
3 lemon tetra
3 hy 511 tetra
1 clown pleco
2 Juilli Cory's
1 Bolivian ram
1 kuhili loach

The light fixture is 48in the bulbs are fluorescent 54 watts at 6500k and the other bulb will be 54 watts at 10,000k the tank is 48 x 12 x 21 that's length width and height

I can't post pictures here, but you can check out my profile pic and my album pics, my tanks are almost all planted...

3 gold barbs
3 bst tetra
3 lemon tetra
3 hy 511 tetra
1 clown pleco
2 Juilli Cory's
1 Bolivian ram
1 kuhili loach

The light fixture is 48in the bulbs are fluorescent 54 watts at 6500k and the other bulb will be 54 watts at 10,000k the tank is 48 x 12 x 21 that's length width and height

Good set up for just about any type of planted tank- I highly suggest upping your barbs to 5 and your kuhli to at least 3, though.... Watch out for kuhli uprooting plants and your clown plec eating delicate plants.

I have my personal planted routine of having first layer laterite mixed with floramax to build up my landscape. Then I use eco complete to soften the rough landscaping and allow for deep sand patches. I place flourish and rooting tabs and use pvc pipe to fill in with very fine grade sand. Cured driftwood is a fixture that is priceless to me, I don't think I'll ever stop buying or hunting for the perfect piece of driftwood for my tanks- they are fun to make little moss trees out of, and they are beneficial for the plants as well. Along with driftwood, lava rock is probably the best at retaining ferts to help plants root to the porous rock- it's actually kind of funny- the round lava stones I used to use for hydro and aqua ponics are now showing up in semi aquatic terrariums, palludariums, and vivariums everywhere (even in some biotope tanks) and the jagged porous rocks are showing up at my local htg store and round rocks are being phased out...

I digress, though, once I'm done with my substrate it's decoration time. I put all my large rocks and driftwood how I want them and make sure they are secured and I place any bulbs I'm growing.

I put about an inch or 2 of water in the bottom and start placing live plants... My preference is to lightly bury just the root endings (definitely make sure there are good roots- if not I suggest floating them until they do) and secured middle/near the base of plants with with rounded river pebbles, small rounded river stones and small pieces of dw or lava stone.

Slowly fill through hob filter, add your choice of aquarium ferts, usually a daily CO2 booster (if you aren't planning on using pressurized/ bubble co2 doser) and a balanced comprehensive NPK liquid fertilizer... This should be all that you need.... Oh, and a few boiled bones or shells usually helps keep a calcium balance to the water if you should ever need to keep snails for algae growth...

Also considering your stocklist you can use Amazon extract or blackwater extract and make all the colors pop!! Long winded am I, hope any of this makes sense or helps!!

Wow thank you both! This helps me out a ton, The fertalization process is a little new to me and still trying to do my research on it... Theres just so much information on it and different ideas about how to go about it. Do either one of you know a good reliable site for ferts???

If you decide to do dry ferts go to greenleafaquariums.com

They have fert packages for El dosing and PPS-Pro dosing. Information on each of these can also be found on their site.

If you decide to do dry ferts go to greenleafaquariums.com

They have fert packages for El dosing and PPS-Pro dosing. Information on each of these can also be found on their site.

Perfect and do you recommend I go with the dry over the liquid ferts and why?

If you have a low light tank unless it's really large liquid ferts are generally fine.

Medium and high light tanks do much better with dry ferts or if you have a large tank. Dry ferts provide all the macro and micro nutrients plants need. It is a much more complete dosing program than using liquid ferts.

If you have a low light tank unless it's really large liquid ferts are generally fine.

Medium and high light tanks do much better with dry ferts or if you have a large tank. Dry ferts provide all the macro and micro nutrients plants need. It is a much more complete dosing program than using liquid ferts.

Ok thanks

Hello, guru of plants :) I have a question that goes right along with the op conversation- 150g medium light Amazon tank, substrate is a plants heaven going with mostly swords, vals and Cyperus h.- best type of ferts, in your opinion? There is a lobster to take into consideration, though...

Here's.a look at my 30g tall. Its my first real attempt at an aquascape so I would like to hear some criticism

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130730_192206.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130730_192206.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 67
Hello, guru of plants :) I have a question that goes right along with the op conversation- 150g medium light Amazon tank, substrate is a plants heaven going with mostly swords, vals and Cyperus h.- best type of ferts, in your opinion? There is a lobster to take into consideration, though...

I wouldn't worry about the plants if I was you, when it gets big it will eat all of them plants!

Here's.a look at my 30g tall. Its my first real attempt at an aquascape so I would like to hear some criticism

Looks real nice but to get the natural look in aquarium you can't put your centre piece I.e your big wood shouldn't be centre just push it just off of centre to the right I tiny bit with an angle on it. IMO that would look better :)

I'd rethink the lobster or move it when it starts getting some size but as to the ferts, put some root tabs under/next to your swords and I'd go with dry ferts simply because they are much cheaper to use in a large tank.

I wouldn't worry about the plants if I was you, when it gets big it will eat all of them plants!

I'd rethink the lobster or move it when it starts getting some size but as to the ferts, put some root tabs under/next to your swords and I'd go with dry ferts simply because they are much cheaper to use in a large tank.

Thanks guys(gals)!!! With your input I have decided to do a separate 75g rock and wood scape for for all of my crustaceans (1 sunburst and 1 red cherax lobster and 2 6 inch cray (1 black and 1 blue). Thanks for the fert advice, definitely can see the cost difference when I look at the big picture!!

Back
Top Bottom