Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to put something small on my desk at work. No idea what might fit the parameters:

There's no electrical supply nearby, but lots of light (indirect southern exposure plus fluorescents) and temps 65-75 year round with variations of no more than 3 degrees in a 24 hour period.

Probably 2-5 gallons.

Needs to be very pretty, it's the front desk at a granite / marble / Quartz countertop showroom.

About $50. I have Java moss, Java fern, pennywort, maybe anubias (it may be too large).

Water is extremely soft but I'm accustomed (18 Months without incident) to supplementing KH and GH up to 4 (or whatever). I've maintained tanks at 6.5-7.5 from tap water.

I can get Ada Amazonia by the pound locally ($8 a pound) and my LFS is The Wet Spot in Portland (they have everything).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

No power, huh? That is limiting.

I once kept a one gallon hex tank full of java fern on my kitchen counter with one guppy in it, without filtration. Worked well.

You could try something way out of the box, like some daphnia, or hatching cyclops at home and popping a few new ones in every month or so. Very entertaining and different.

As Wet Spot is your LFS, you could ask about killifish - they have tons of variety and some do very well without filtration - but I don't have a good recommendation as to what strain.

Anubius is a great no fuss plant and should be fine. Just split any node to fit the size of the tank, or get a small variety at wet spot. I know for sure java fern will do very well in standing water without filtration.

Lucky you, Wet Spot is awesome. Never been in person but for the past two years I've made an expensive online order each summer, lol. No disappointments.

Last edited:
Thanks! I thought Java fern likes current and didn't know anubias could be split so that's great! I may be able to do this from "scraps" and buy only the fish.

The killifish are ok with the temps?

I did ponder a solar LED lamp ?

I kept an unfiltered heavily planted 2.5 for awhile, with a betta (now a barely filtered heavily planted 10 with a betta and 3 frogs) But it had heat and light.

The killifish are ok with the temps?

I'd consult Wet Spot and see if they have a type of killi that would work with your parameters. Seems like last time I looked online (last week, lol) they have at least 2 dozen varieties - maybe more.

You might also want to look into growing bare root pathos ivy as a floater - that stuff eats ammonia like crazy.

No fauna. In terms of maintenance they are pretty minimal. Just occasional misting depending on your humidity.

Interesting. I currently have a terrarium with succulents that is a losing battle ...

Interesting. I currently have a terrarium with succulents that is a losing battle ...

Is the humidity too high for them? Thinking the excess moisture may lead to rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is the humidity too high for them? Thinking the excess moisture may lead to rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's hard to say. The jar never has condensation and in the 4 months I've had this one I've just added a few drops of water, not even close to the plants, each week. 4 of the 6 are still alive. Which is the best I've done with succulents so far.

Dry plants are definitely not my thing.

Alternately ... I might have a spot where there is electrical but no light and nobody could see it but me.

Back
Top Bottom