Identifying Algae for $200 Alex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjustinmatz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got this brownish/green algae that is overtaking one of my tanks and I'm not sure what type it is. It is on much of the front substrate and beginning to get on the perimeter of my plant leaves. I took a few pictures and was hoping to get some help with an ID.
Thanks so much for your assistance.
Gregg

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 110
What is filamentous algae. Typically caused by strong light and excessive organic material. Physically remove as much as possible and maybe try temporary light reduction along with wc's. Just my thoughts.

I concur. It looks as if you might have Black Brush Algae as well in the first pic. Are you injecting CO2?

Yes I am injecting CO2 and my lighting

for the 90 gallon tank is 3x54 65k w/Catalina reflectors. The lights are resting on top of the tank. A single bulb is on 9 hours a day and all three are on 8 hours a day.
I just stopped dosing ferts a couple of days ago. I am now using Phosguard which has lowered my phosphate level. Nitrates are still high. I was also dosing extra EXCEL to help with the algae but it didn't seem to be working so I've stopped that too.
Thanks for your help.
Gregg

break up your light schedule , I do 4 on 4 off 4 on and found this cured my algae problems , some people do 4 on 2 off 4 on , you might have to experiment a little but Id say your using to much light , also pressurized co2 will curb the problem but switching your lighting is the cheapest way

Thanks I'll give the staggered lighting

a shot. I already use co2.

Back
Top Bottom