If it's not one thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skai

Aquarium Advice Freak
it's another. Basically through a series of various unfortunate circumstances including but not limited to Ich and other fish illnesses I had to tear my whole tank apart. I figured this was the perfect time to switch over to a heavier planted aquarium rather than the few rinky dinky plants I had in there to begin with. I have a 35 gal hex and it's pretty tall and dramatic so I thought some lovely live plants would look quite striking.

However I get up this morning and the pump I had (which I had been intending to use for a least a while) is leaking from the bottom. It's either gotten a crack or there is some other internal problem. Basically it's leaking somewhere I can't get to and it's doing so at a steady rate. It has to be replaced.

Question is, since I'm going to be switching over to a planted aquarium what are some good filters for both fish and plants? I've heard that HOB filters were sometimes a problem if it has too much flow but that's all I've ever had for aquariums so far so that's what I'm most familiar with. Also, since I'm heading towards a planted aquarium am I understanding correctly that if everything is working properly all I really need is the sponge/other solid filter and not so much any bio-media and carbon? I wasn't really planning on switching over to planted so quickly but since I had to tear the whole thing apart and move the fishes to smaller tanks where I actually could use the smaller spare filters I had I figured this was the perfect time. Any help would be most appreciated. I'm probably going to end up recycling the entire thing as well but that's hard to do without a filter...

Sounds like a good excuse for a larger tank?!

Haha, I wish but I just bought this 35 gal not that long ago. While I can justify getting a higher grade lighting and filter for it to do some plants I can't shell out for the size I would want to upgrade to... nor would I have room. Tis a sad fate but one I must live with. It's hard walking by all those nice big aquariums and knowing I can't put them anywhere. I saw a gorgeous cherry framed 120 gal with matching cabinet that I would love to have but have no place for. *sniff sniff* maybe some day....

I love my r marineland filter I have two running on my 75 gal. But I am with the above post sounds like a good time for a bigger aquarium or even a non hex, these tanks can be hard to grow plants in due to the depth of the tank. Light has a hard time penetrating all the way to the plants, IMO.

Haha, I wish but I just bought this 35 gal not that long ago. While I can justify getting a higher grade lighting and filter for it to do some plants I can't shell out for the size I would want to upgrade to... nor would I have room. Tis a sad fate but one I must live with. It's hard walking by all those nice big aquariums and knowing I can't put them anywhere. I saw a gorgeous cherry framed 120 gal with matching cabinet that I would love to have but have no place for. *sniff sniff* maybe some day....

Lol - I bought a 4ft after picking a 3ft as I knew I'd be kicking myself otherwise. Now still kicking myself I didn't get a 6ft.... So far hints of getting a fish pond have fallen on deaf ears. I'm sad to say there seem to be some people out there that just don't appreciate keeping fish. :(

I love my r marineland filter I have two running on my 75 gal. But I am with the above post sounds like a good time for a bigger aquarium or even a non hex, these tanks can be hard to grow plants in due to the depth of the tank. Light has a hard time penetrating all the way to the plants, IMO.

Does natural light from outdoors help at all? I'm just curious because the location of the tank actually gets a fair bit of light since there are windows on two sides of it I believe it's North and East located. I know those sides tend to grow algae faster (although clearly not the same thing as trying to grow plants). I've never actually heard if having light hit a tank from windows helps with planted aquariums or not.

Lol - I bought a 4ft after picking a 3ft as I knew I'd be kicking myself otherwise. Now still kicking myself I didn't get a 6ft.... So far hints of getting a fish pond have fallen on deaf ears. I'm sad to say there seem to be some people out there that just don't appreciate keeping fish. :(

The tanks are NEVER big enough! I've seen about three different tanks at the small business fish store that I drive forty minutes to get to that I drool over each time I see them. (they get progressively bigger too lol) my next purchase tank wise will probably be a 55 gal or something along those lines but like I said before... no place to put it. At least I can fantasize...

Heya Skai,

You are correct that you need very little, if any, biological filtration: plants will take up ammonium and nitrates very quickly (and in that order). You'll find you actually need to supplement nitrogen to your plants via macro fertilizer after a while.

Natural light can be trouble in that it contributes to the growth of algae so I'd caution you there. The higher your light, the faster plants will burn through the nutrients in your soil and/or fertilizer.

Heya Skai,

You are correct that you need very little, if any, biological filtration: plants will take up ammonium and nitrates very quickly (and in that order). You'll find you actually need to supplement nitrogen to your plants via macro fertilizer after a while.

Natural light can be trouble in that it contributes to the growth of algae so I'd caution you there. The higher your light, the faster plants will burn through the nutrients in your soil and/or fertilizer.

Yes, I'm aware of the algae problem related to natural light. I have to clean the glass regularly to keep a handle on it (and my algae eaters never starve lol). Though, if I had a better place for the tank believe me I'd use it. I was more curious if the natural light had any bearing at all on the actual aquarium plants. I know that I'll eventually need to upgrade my lighting in the tank so I'm not depending on it to provide all light. It's just one of those 'huh' things that I thought about while planning out the logistics of this thing. A CO2 system would help with reducing algae growth a bit if I understand things properly?

Heya Skai,

why do you think that, you still need bio filtration and still need water changes. I have YET to see a tank that never needs water changes and which doesnt need a bio filter because the plants can sucks that many nutrients out of the tank.

why do you think that, you still need bio filtration and still need water changes. I have YET to see a tank that never needs water changes and which doesnt need a bio filter because the plants can sucks that many nutrients out of the tank.

So, would I still need the same amount of bio-media that I had in my now defunct filter or would the presence of plants adjust the amount? I've read that the bacteria will only produce as much as the tank can support but I'm a little unclear if the amount of media plays any role in this. I've read both yes and no.

So, would I still need the same amount of bio-media that I had in my now defunct filter or would the presence of plants adjust the amount? I've read that the bacteria will only produce as much as the tank can support but I'm a little unclear if the amount of media plays any role in this. I've read both yes and no.

id just keep the same amount, yeah plants aid in nutrient removal but not as much as your thinking. same amount of bio media, plant it, keep up with water changes and youll be good

id just keep the same amount, yeah plants aid in nutrient removal but not as much as your thinking. same amount of bio media, plant it, keep up with water changes and youll be good

Thanks so much, I was thinking until the plants really get going well and established I'd do that anyway as a precaution. I'll just not attempt to move away from it at all then. I'd rather play safe than sorry until I really get a good handle on things anyway. So that probably works for the best.

Thanks so much, I was thinking until the plants really get going well and established I'd do that anyway as a precaution. I'll just not attempt to move away from it at all then. I'd rather play safe than sorry until I really get a good handle on things anyway. So that probably works for the best.

yeah, pm brookster and ask him about planted tanks and bio media and the works. hes like an encyclopedia of plants.

Matty, water changes and biofiltration are two different things. There are a number of dissolved inorganic compounds that are removed with a water change in addition to nitrates (in unplanted tanks). No tank, as you say, can completely do away with water changes.

That said, in the introduction of her book, Diana Walstad writes "For example, my own [low tech planted] aquariums often go six months or more without water changes."

The plants ARE the biological filtration, even removing heavy metals in addition to Nitrogen.

the plants aren't the bio filtration. they can't possibly consume enough of the ammonia, trite, trate, etc... to make bio filtration irrelevant or unneeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Heya Skai,

You'd need an absolute jungle with very little fauna to bring truth to your claims.

Matty, water changes and biofiltration are two different things. There are a number of dissolved inorganic compounds that are removed with a water change in addition to nitrates (in unplanted tanks). No tank, as you say, can completely do away with water changes.

That said, in the introduction of her book, Diana Walstad writes "For example, my own [low tech planted] aquariums often go six months or more without water changes."

The plants ARE the biological filtration, even removing heavy metals in addition to Nitrogen.

For all practical aplications, we all love our fish and love our plants. Having an excess of filtration on a heavily planted tank is a good thing. It distributes nutrients via flow provided by the filters and catches plant mulm and detritus. Wc's are absolutely necessary as they remove nitrates and other toxins while replenshining minerals and nutrients the plants and fish require. Besides.. fish love love love fresh water.. fact!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'd need an absolute jungle with very little fauna to bring truth to your claims.

For all practical aplications, we all love our fish and love our plants. Having an excess of filtration on a heavily planted tank is a good thing. It distributes nutrients via flow provided by the filters and catches plant mulm and detritus. Wc's are absolutely necessary as they remove nitrates and other toxins while replenshining minerals and nutrients the plants and fish require. Besides.. fish love love love fresh water.. fact!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

agreed

the plants aren't the bio filtration. they can't possibly consume enough of the ammonia, trite, trate, etc... to make bio filtration irrelevant or unneeded.

I have to fertilize one of my tanks with potassium nitrate because my fish don't produce enough Nitrogen (ammonia) to keep up with the demand of my plants.

Even a modestly planted tank will provide good filtration. I also have a 17 gallon tank with about 5 plants in it which I never even cycled and do water changes about every two weeks. It's been running for about 2 years now and, though the exact composition of the fish and plants has changed a little over that period, the overall biomass has been about the same. NH4, NO2 & NO3, & P are all 0 ppm and have been since the day I put the tank together.

I'm just saying: plants are pretty freakin' amazing at keeping your water clean and a little bit goes a long way.

yeah but they aren't as amaZing as your stating. you may be a special case

Back
Top Bottom