If nitrates are lower, should i still change water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I started my first planted tank not long ago with the hopes of making a more stable and desirable home for my future fish. I am going for a low tech, low light tank with as many plants eventually as i can fit in there and still have growth. I know they will use nitrates and other nitrogen sources, and some therfore reach a level where very little or even no water changing is apparently needed. I dont know if this is possible given my goals, but i wanted to ask about it and see what you guys know about it. Lets asume that the plant needs are close to the waste produced by the fish in there. If nitrates dont build up enough to need a water change that week, are there other substances in the water that would build up and cause issues if not changed? I am wondering if, down the road when established, i should change the water in this tank based on nitrate levels or do my weekly 25-30% water changes like my previous non planted tanks. The smaller maintenance load would be nice to lessen the "chore" of multiple tanks, but im looking towards whats best for fish as that is my main concern here.

Incase you were wondering, the tank is a 20 gallon long with a finnex stingray LED light on 12 hours a day (6 on, 1.5 off, 6 on currently. Seemed like a good starting point based on my research on lighting). Tank has java fern, a larger and smaller leaf variety of anubius, hornwort. The plants have only been in my tank for a week now so hard to say yet on how they are doing. Tank has 6 rummynose tetra and 1 male guppy, and i plan to have a group of 8-10 panda corries and more rummynose in the end. Pool filter sand and trumpet snails as well

Here is a picture of the tank as well. Hopefully the plants take well

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447617479.384044.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Continual top offs cause excessive build of total dissolved solids(when using dechlorinated tap water)..I think it be wise to maintain your weekly wc schedule..top offs should be done using either ro or distilled water..

sit in silence...

Continual top offs cause excessive build of total dissolved solids...I think it be wise to maintain your weekly wc schedule..

sit in silence...

+1 to TT.

Everything you put into your tank and the fish/plant waste adds to a level known as TDS.

Like all levels, as it rises it can affect fish. So even if your nitrates are low, it's a good idea to change water anyway. Plus tap water contains micronutrients that fish and plants utilize.

Caleb

Continual top offs cause excessive build of total dissolved solids(when using dechlorinated tap water)..I think it be wise to maintain your weekly wc schedule..top offs should be done using either ro or distilled water..

sit in silence...

+1 to TT.

Everything you put into your tank and the fish/plant waste adds to a level known as TDS.

Like all levels, as it rises it can affect fish. So even if your nitrates are low, it's a good idea to change water anyway. Plus tap water contains micronutrients that fish and plants utilize.

Caleb
I agree you gotta change water either way,just maybe not as much if you didn't help the system out.
I would still do weekly myself.

Nobody thinks 12 hrs is long for low light plants or inviting disaster?
I would drop both ends of your lighting schedule 2 hours so you were 4 on 1.5 off 4 on???

I agree you gotta change water either way,just maybe not as much if you didn't help the system out.

I would drop both ends of your lighting schedule 2 hours so you were 4 on 1.5 off 4 on???

Must have missed that...

Agree with bandit. 12 hours is going to spell algae eventually, tone it down.

Caleb

Ok thanks guys. Some seemed to say that 10-12 is good for planted tanks. Should i drop it to 10 total and see if i get algea? I dont know if 8 would limit plant growth in my already slow plants

And thats what i had figured about the total disolved solids. I have a glass top that seems to keep evaporation to a minimal. If i end up finding that nitrates dont build up much would i be better off going with biweekly changes over removing more nitrates weekly? Assuming i am not having to top off in between

Pearls....people dropping Pearls!

sit in silence...

I still like doing a good water change. Gives me a chance to clean up the glass, scrub the filter media, and give the plants a trim. After a water change, everything perks up too. The plants pearl, the fish and shrimp are more active, and everything is clean and perfect. I prefer to do a 25% every week, but I do between 20-50% every 1-2 weeks. I have tons of plants and almost no nitrates, but I still do them. Nothing like a good ole water change to spend time with your hobby and clean things up!

I still like doing a good water change. Gives me a chance to clean up the glass, scrub the filter media, and give the plants a trim. After a water change, everything perks up too. The plants pearl, the fish and shrimp are more active, and everything is clean and perfect. I prefer to do a 25% every week, but I do between 20-50% every 1-2 weeks. I have tons of plants and almost no nitrates, but I still do them. Nothing like a good ole water change to spend time with your hobby and clean things up!

Ok so i shouldnt worry about nitrates falling too low? My tank is far from stocked.

I thought with planted tanks i should aim to keep a little since it is needed for the plants?

It's good for them, but the fish don't like high levels. With a good amount of fish and plants, the parameters should be balanced and stay where they need to.

It's good for them, but the fish don't like high levels. With a good amount of fish and plants, the parameters should be balanced and stay where they need to.

I meant to keep it below 20ppm but figured i wouldnt want to have too low either. The tank doesnt produce too much yet

I meant to keep it below 20ppm but figured i wouldnt want to have too low either. The tank doesnt produce too much yet

Unless it's bottoming at 0ppm then I wouldn't worry about them. Just keep it 20ppm and under.

Caleb

Ok awesome. Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure if they needed a certain concentration to do best. They seem to be doing well now. I just stepped back the lighting like you suggested so hopefully it keeps up!

Back
Top Bottom