I'm going crazy trying to figure this out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm going nuts from trying to figure out what I need to do if anything about lighting for my tank.

I just purchased a 29g tank that I'm currently cycling, fishless. LFS store said that the standard light that I purchased should be fine for a low light, low tech aquarium. 17w 24" T8 bulb - unsure of spectrum because it's not listed anywhere on the bulb/box. End goal is a moderately to lightly planted tank.

I purchased a few plants yesterday (3 crypts, 2 anubias) and planted them. I went online to double check the advice from the LFS store and now I feel completely confused. I've read everything from low light is less than 1 watt per gallon to low light needs to be at least 1-2 watts per gallon, to watts per gallon is useless and it's all about spectrum. I'm hoping to add a few more plants, some more crypts and christmas moss on my driftwood. Did I get the wrong fixture?!? Can I grow low light plants with this set-up?

If your lighting is a coralife and the spectrum of the bulb is full, normally that would be 6700k most of the time, which will work for low lights. I know the wattage per gallon do help when you want to try planting moderate to high light kinds of plants. Maybe the 17w is not really advisable if you want to add moderate lighting plants in the future. If you can find the same length, same spectrum but higher wattage, that will work best.

Here is a chart of what kind of bulb on what tank size should you use to have a low to high light plants:

img_1899990_0_1f0a6f5765c5a51fea7090ee3aca6c32.jpg

Thank you for the info!! The chart is helpful, looks like my tank makes it in the low light category since my fixture sits right on top of my hood. Thanks!!

So I'm going nuts from trying to figure out what I need to do if anything about lighting for my tank.

I just purchased a 29g tank that I'm currently cycling, fishless. LFS store said that the standard light that I purchased should be fine for a low light, low tech aquarium. 17w 24" T8 bulb - unsure of spectrum because it's not listed anywhere on the bulb/box. End goal is a moderately to lightly planted tank.

I purchased a few plants yesterday (3 crypts, 2 anubias) and planted them. I went online to double check the advice from the LFS store and now I feel completely confused. I've read everything from low light is less than 1 watt per gallon to low light needs to be at least 1-2 watts per gallon, to watts per gallon is useless and it's all about spectrum. I'm hoping to add a few more plants, some more crypts and christmas moss on my driftwood. Did I get the wrong fixture?!? Can I grow low light plants with this set-up?

I haven't worked with a taller tank....but, I would get a higher wattage bulb IF your fixture allows it. T8s will grow some plants. But at less than a watt per gallon you are REALLY low on light. Otherwise swap it for a T5 fixture.

You say you "Planted" your Anubias ???? They need their Rhizomes above ground, only their roots can be planted or they will rot. Usual method is to, tie the Anubias to rocks or wood and the roots will grow around it. Crypts are great :) Don't panic is they melt at first, they should come back. But they are heavy root feeders. Buy or make Root Tabs for them.

I've grown Java Moss, Java Ferns and Anubias under indirect light from a table lamp....BUT they all grow better with a better light. NOT super high light but the right spectrum and wattage works wonders. Plus Ferts and talking to your tank may help too ;)

With fluorescent strips you are pretty much limited to upgrading the entire fixture when you want more light. The bulbs might vary a few watts at best, but generally the wattage is determined by the bulb length, which is a set amount for each fixture. I've got 2 spiral CFL bulbs over my 29 and it has been growing all kinds of plants. I've had good luck with spiral CFL's and also 2 bulb t8's over my 29g tanks, for a low light setup.

Thanks again for all the information! This forum is a great resource.

It sounds like what I was beginning to suspect, I might be able to keep my low light plants alive with my single t8, but I'm going to be much happier if I upgrade. I would like my plants to grow and fill in quite a bit. All the species I'm interested in enjoy a planted tank, so I want at least some moderate coverage. *sigh* Time to find out if the LFS will let me return the fixture...

Oh, and I didn't bury my anubias, they're tied onto a piece of driftwood and rock respectively. I did get good advice from the LFS on that for sure!

For the cost of getting new proper plant growing bulbs for a dual t8, I usually just opt for the t5/t5ho upgrade.

What about doing something like this:
Amazon.com: 30 in. Freshwater Aqualight T5 Single Fluorescent Light Fixture - 18W: Pet Supplies

A 30" (looks like T5 NO from description) single bulb. Would that be too much light for a low tech-low light set up? It's fairly inexpensive, which I like. It looks like it falls in the medium category of lighting though...

My other thought after doing a lot of googling was possibly the inexpensive LED double bright by Marineland:
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System

But I'm having trouble finding consistent information about LEDs too. The ones that I found for plant growth seem pretty small and are way out of my price range. Even the Marineland one is more than I want to spend, but it sounds like it might be worth it in the long run.

The par chart assumes a higher end fixture like the kind with individual reflectors and good bulbs, which is not in your typical shelf model.

That said I think you'll be happier with the 2 bulb version of that fixture. You may even find one with individual switches for even more control.

I don't know anything about the leds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom