Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any advice?

I just put the stuff in there so not all of it has to stay. I tried making it pretty, but I'm hopeless.

In there now are three mopani driftwood pieces to the left, three small chunks of lava rock, one big lava rock and a small piece of driftwood to the right of that.

2 - Anubias Nana
1 - Moss Ball
2 - Crypt Wednetti Red
2 - Crypt Nevillii
2 - Java Fern

In the garage I also have an assortment of manzanita wood.

Where should I move things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1950207490.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	131644  

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

This helped me out a lot when I got my first tank.
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants....caping101.html

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here's a site to check out tons of tanks... Your Tanks - Browsing

I'd move the big rock so 1/3 of it is on the right of the center line and 2/3 on the left of the center line. See if you can raise the substrate like a hill on the left side using a couple little rocks to help hold it up if needed. Also do you have a larger piece of wood that is more in size balance with the rock? Something bigger you could use on the left of the rock? Your going to have to play with it but get your large items in first how you like, the add some plants around those pieces where you like, then look at the rock, wood, and plants you have left and play around with them. Or try drawing something out. I've tweeked my tank several times in the past year trying to just get it the way I want it. You'll get the hang of it, just don't get discouraged.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You are not horrible.....there is no horrible in scaping. Random is good when trying to get that natural look. The last thing you want is for it to look systematic, or planned. You'll get it. Part of the intrigue is moving everything around to get that scene that satisfies the eye.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd first make a valley in the center left and use that gravel to make a nice hill on the left side of the tank.

The rock and wood on the left would look nice if you moved it over to the right by about 3-4 inches so you could have some nice tall plants around the sides and back of it. That wood could be repositioned to stand taller, too. That would really make it a showpiece.

I like the right side quite a bit from what I can see. You have a very solid start!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lemme tell ya, I hated planted those crypts. I really need to get some anchors.

I switched some things up a bit and tried to stack the wood a little higher to balance more with the rock. Unfortunately, I don't have any bigger pieces. I also tried to make a little hill, but don't know how successful that was.

The only plants that absolutely can't move are the ferns attached to the driftwood on the far right.

Does it look better? Sorry for the glare. I have two huge windows without drapes. Nice to see the lake, horrible for pictures.

I also have another small rock (like the one in the middle) that I removed and can add back in if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-141589541.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	131804  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It's definitely getting better but you know that hateful had to plant large crypt on the left side.... it would really look good planted about an inch over in front of the left side of the big rock. It would add height and help break up the expanse of rock. Then the wood with the java fern to the far right, can you move it forward just a little and to the left so it's kind of balanced between the jutting out part of the rock and the glass. Just curious as to what plant that is planted behind the big rock in the middle just barely peeking out?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats
It's definitely getting better but you know that hateful had to plant large crypt on the left side.... it would really look good planted about an inch over in front of the left side of the big rock.
So just a little left of where the moss ball is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercats
Then the wood with the java fern to the far right, can you move it forward just a little and to the left so it's kind of balanced between the jutting out part of the rock and the glass.
Yep. And when I was checking out the pictures after, I did notice that it needed to be moved. I thought I had it more towards the front, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercats
Just curious as to what plant that is planted behind the big rock in the middle just barely peeking out?
It's crypt nevilli and I want to move it but I'm not sure where. I thought it got taller than what I just found out. I would love to have some tall green back there, though.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes, just left of the moss ball. One trick I learned if you have a crypt or sword that has too short of roots to stay down at first just take a couple rocks and use them to hold the plant down by gently wedging the plant between them. In a few weeks you can remove the rocks and the plant will be solidly rooted. Some Corkscrew Val put along that back would look good. It's an easy plant to grow and would fill that area nicely.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll do that then and move the crypts. Where should I put the ones that are in the middle back now?

Tags
api, aquascaping, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com