I'm missing something, pressurized co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinKScott

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have my pressurized co2 tank & regulator. Hooked up a hose with check valve, fixed the open end in the tank. Got the bubbles to 2-3 bps. Yeah, went for a beer.

Return with beer, bubbles stopped. Tried again, yeah bubbles... Went for more beer.

Return with beer, bubbles stopped. Repeat.

Cannot keep the bubbles going. What am I doing wrong? (Other than inventing a new drinking game.)

Co2 10# tank -> regulator -> tube -> check valve -> tube -> water, midway down tank -> bubbles float to surface

Here's a picture I drew up to explain this to someone else...

img_1403314_0_44394191e2ad7e7b7f3d5683e7690252.jpg

I know, not great, but gets the point across. The guage on the left reads the cylinder pressure. The gauge on the right reads the output pressure. What you need to do is turn the needle valve (which is the knob under the bubble counter) completely closed. Turn the regulator knob until the right guage reads about 10psi. Slowly open the needle valve to your desired flow. This prevents the up and down pressure swings that the directions on the box advise you to do. If it's not a milwaukee, it should be the same overall concept.

Everything Mfdrookie says is spot on, I used his threads and a few PMs to get my system going. It did take about a week of constant monitoring to get my system to be more care free, just check it and adjust. I am trying to say mine would produce bubbles then stop like you are experiencing, I just didn't have the beers to make it more enjoyable.

Also, because of the advice in Mfd's 40 breeder thread I used oil (olive in my case) instead of water in the bubble counter and it works great, no worries about the water evaporating and needing refilled.

Totally got it figured out! Have a nice steady stream of co2 bubbles now! Thanks guys! Wouldn't have figured it out without you!

Back
Top Bottom