I'm starting to turn against ferts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If its green water try a 3 day blackout. Completely cover the tank in towels or bin liners for 3 days. You need to not open it up during the three days though. This is a good remedy for green water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Id go another 6" to start then another 6 If theres still problema but I dont think street lights have the proper balance of color wavelengths.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By "street light," are you referring to those yellow HPS lamps? I'm not using that. In my case, I am using the reflector and the socket from the street light. Try looking at the spectrum of a 4100K MetalArc, though I have been looking at lamps in the 8000-10000k range. Still, there's a LOT of good PAR light available. I have also been chasing 5000K "grow lights," but spectra for them has been tough to find.

Id be tempted to stay within the more recognised kelvin spectrum of 6000k to 10000k

That's really what I want.

However, many botanists like the 3000K spectra for flowering plants and the 5000K spectba for vegetive growth.

If you want something spectacular? Get a bml and call it a day..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

High failure rates
High cost
Few options
Tedious color matching

Everything I don't want still. I'll check this one again next year

Finnex LEDs are not that expensive. Not all the bells and whistles such as dimming with the current models but the new lineup this fall should be addressing those features. I own two models (FugeRay/Planted+) and have had decent results. But it's not just about the lights. Balancing the ferts and carbon in any setup is the key.

That's really what I want.

However, many botanists like the 3000K spectra for flowering plants and the 5000K spectba for vegetive growth.

Might be so but there must be a reason why these spectrums are not really used in aquariums.

Im very happy with my bml fixture

If i had my choice now though, id look into the exotic range. That new fixture out recently looks incredible with all its features. Brian_nano is the man to speak to on it though

If there is, I haven't seen it. All I can find is that metal halide is normally used with corals, which woulp explain the popularity of 10000K and up. I guess I must be one of the few that wantsd metal halide with plants. I hear heat is a factor, but ot near as much as is made out. Heck, fluorescets will raise tanks 5 degrees F above ambient as does this lamp.

Finnex LEDs are not that expensive. Not all the bells and whistles such as dimming with the current models but the new lineup this fall should be addressing those features. I own two models (FugeRay/Planted+) and have had decent results. But it's not just about the lights. Balancing the ferts and carbon in any setup is the key.

Yes a ray 2 and monster ray combo wouls do great together you have the color sprctrum plants use plus a nice white for asthetics.

Mh are great for planted tanks If there a tall tank like 18"+ I wouls get close to a 6700k bulb If you want to stick with mh along with raising the light you should be where you want to be.

Yes a ray 2 and monster ray combo wouls do great together you have the color sprctrum plants use plus a nice white for asthetics.

Mh are great for planted tanks If there a tall tank like 18"+ I wouls get close to a 6700k bulb If you want to stick with mh along with raising the light you should be where you want to be.

Cant go far wrong with 6700k for colour temperature. If going with LED look out for fixtures that offer the RGB LED's

Ya i like the 6000-7000 range it Sucks the geissmann bulbs I use are only 6000k as i usually lean closer to 7000 looks wise

I like the 7000K-8000K range best for my aesthetics, but since this thread is about ferts, how can I test to see how much glut is in my water? Would it show on a CO2 test?

I like the 7000K-8000K range best for my aesthetics, but since this thread is about ferts, how can I test to see how much glut is in my water? Would it show on a CO2 test?

Why would you want to test glut levels??

It breaks down after 20-24hours of being in the tank anyway. Hence why its a daily dose.

Excessively overdosing can slightly cloud the water. Milky cloud not green though

Why would you want to test glut levels??

It breaks down after 20-24hours of being in the tank anyway. Hence why its a daily dose.

Excessively overdosing can slightly cloud the water. Milky cloud not green though

I'm with sk3lly.. what's the point?? If you dump 10 mL of metricide into 1000ml of water your metricide level is 1%;) I'm wicked smaht.. no but seriously.. seems like you are focusing your attention on absolutely obscure aspects here whole avoiding the obvious/necessary steps. No offense, please, i just can't make sense of your process.

I'm just trying to find my carbon level (ie: see how quickly the glut is being used to determine if I have enough carbon) Not enough carbon and too many nutes often blooms algae right?
1mL glut to 1L water is 1mL/L glut now, but what about 6 hours from now? Has my plants expended it all at this point? ...in 3 hours? ...in 1 hour?

For a moderate plant load work up to a daily dose of .5ml/gal.. works for the rest of us;)

I'm just trying to find my carbon level (ie: see how quickly the glut is being used to determine if I have enough carbon) Not enough carbon and too many nutes often blooms algae right?
1mL glut to 1L water is 1mL/L glut now, but what about 6 hours from now? Has my plants expended it all at this point? ...in 3 hours? ...in 1 hour?

I think your overthinking it. I think your issues are light related.

On a side note i think people dose 1ml per gallon not 1ml per litre as you quoted. Not sure if you made a typo or not but if you dosed 1ml per litre your probably really overkilling it and clouding the water with overdosing

I think your overthinking it. I think your issues are light related.

On a side note i think people dose 1ml per gallon not 1ml per litre as you quoted. Not sure if you made a typo or not but if you dosed 1ml per litre your probably really overkilling it and clouding the water with overdosing

+1 and the pre mixed flourish and leaf zone that gets dosed fix your lights and get a proper fertilizer régimen going and you will be Fine.

Back
Top Bottom