Im trying to start a planted tank but its not working out too well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy4208

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any help would be great, I'm trying to start a planted tank. I'm using flormax substraight with sand mix with gravel but only 3 onion plants come up, and I just a whole bunch of different kinds, it's only been 3 weeks but I figured I would at least c something by now...

First things first:

1. How big is the tank?

2. What type of lighting are you using? Type and wattage please.

3. What types of plants are you trying to grow?

It's a 125g and the lights that came with it didnt work so I had to improvise I hve a big light that is a, F40PL/AQ-ECO
Wide spectrum 40w
Plant and aquarium Ecofux
And the other one is a small one that is a
Eclipse natural day light F15/T8 18" do u kno which one is better cuz the small light i only planted 1 plant over Their and it didnt grow either
As for the plants I'm not really too sure it was a virity pack for 2 dollars and, it had onion bulbs, water Lillie, and some other ones that I cant remeber, I want somethin that can carpet the tank but my LFS arnt too smart lol when it come to anything...

Oh and I kinda need some plants that r strong cuz I have 5 cichlids and they always eat the plants I buy lol

Yeah mine said that they would do that... Do u kno if it is worth buying plants online and were to get them from I heard some ppl tanking about it in different forums but I didn't c too much about it.

Depending on the type of cichlids, I doubt you are going to be able to keep any live plants. They will eat them, dig them up, etc.

Yeah the main one who is always doin that is my bumblebee Cichlid is always doin that in my old tank but as for right now, the 3 plants I do hve he doesn't mess with them at all but they r onion bulbs, should I try some moss, I need some plants cuz my nitrits r threw the roof, I do PWC regulary but I can't get them down...

If water changes are n't bringing down your numbers (not sure which because of your spelling) your water changes aren't big enough or often enough or both.

Lol yeah I'll get the right spelling when I get home lol I'm not good at that at all lol... I'll give all the right spellig and measurements when I get home

Yeah I do about a 1/4 of the tank every month, should I do more if so how much more? And I getting ready to bulid a bio filter but it's a big tank so I'm trying to figure out how big the filter needs to be. I hve 4 bio wheels but idk if that enough. I was looking into a sump pump but that looks expensive...

GH-around 60
KH-80-120
PH-7.5
Nitrite-.5-1
Nitrate-20

What do I do about this nitrite?

Back
Top Bottom