Improving my 40 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeandra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my 40 gallon tank. Im still a little new to this hobby and I want all my fish to be happy and healthy!! So I'm creating this topic in hopes of getting insight on improving my tank. I dont have a heater though which I was told is not good. What do you guys think?

Im currently housing:

7 phantom tetras
10 neon tetras
1 bloodfin tetra
1 otocinclus catfish
2 bamboo shrimp
1 ghost shrimp
1 clown loach
And several snail species.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404815961.904773.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404815991.591636.jpg

I am open to any suggestions! More fish...more plants...adding anything or removing anything.

Fish are friends, not food.

I'd add a background of some sort and deff get a heater there cheaper on amazon. I like the blue bottles tho. Are you dosing excel?

A background, huh? Thats a good idea and it'll change the whole look.

Is there a certain brand of heater that would be best? I know absolutely nothing about heaters. My tanks stays steady between 70-72. Ive always worried that might be too cold.

And I've never heard of dosing excel. This helps control algae?

Yes definitely get a heater. All you fish are tropical and need temp 78-80+. I recommend the eheim jagger or Aqueon pro heaters. The clown loach could become a problem when it gets larger because none of the other things will grow to its size to compete for food.
If you don't want a background, I would get some background plants like vals, swords, or other tall plants.

Sent with my fingers

Excel does help control algae and is one of the cheaper ways to do it. You can use metricide as well.

Sent with my fingers

Thank you! I will be getting a heater real soon. And I appreciate the recommendations.

Although, my otto catfish and all my snails so a pretty good job of keeping algae at bay. I hope they continue to be enough l.

Back
Top Bottom