In need of a little guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swyftebladex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Hey AA,

So I'm looking into starting a pressurized co2 setup and am getting lost in all the various gadgets and brands. What I could use a little help with is making sure i am at least looking in the right direction.

So to start my tank is a 20gal long that I would say is moderately planted with various low light, low maintenance plants. I dose dry ferts daily as well as flourish and api leaf zone weekly with my water change. I have been using the api co2 booster and would like to switch to a pressurized system to help with consistency.

Any advice or opinions on the following choice of equipment would be greatly appreciated

Regulator-
Amazon.com: CO2 Adjustable Flow Pressure Regulator: Pet Supplies

Diffusion-Lots of headaches here not sure whether a simple glass diffuser would suffice or if a reactor like this aqua medic one would be better.
Amazon.com: Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor 500 for Aquariums: Pet Supplies

As far as bubble counters and C02 indicators go I am really open to suggestions, i've been staring at various websites for 3 or 4 days now trying to gauge which style, type, or shape is the best.

Typically I lurk :hide: around in others threads and would appreciate any advice. :thanks:

I use the Aquatek regulator. I really like it. Very easy to adjust, and stays adjusted. As far as diffusion, I use a Top Fin powerhead from petsmart. It has a venturi fitting that feeds directly into the impeller. The co2 is chopped up by the impeller, and shot into the tank. This works very well for getting the co2 to all parts of the tank. For a 20 gal. DIY co2 might be an option. Much less expensive.

That milwaukee regulator is a good choice. I use Aquatek too but i think they raised their prices so i think for value I'd opt for that milwaukee. For anything higher in quality, i like GLA regulators... But that's subjective.

Anyway, i think a simple ceramic diffuser would suffice if you position it where the filter can help get it dispersed throughout the tank more efficiently. If you had a canister filter than inline atomic diffusers are great option.

This power diffuser combines what appears to be a mini powerhead that helps get the bubbles super fine to facilitate more efficient co2 dissolution...
http://www.amazon.com/MR-Aqua-Co2-T...8&qid=1366851713&sr=8-5&keywords=co2+diffuser

IMO, that reactor you linked to would be an eye sore.

Drop checkers.. I got a glass one on Ebay for $10. The suction has been superior to my UP Aqua plastic drop checker that, in the two i have, won't stick to the glass anymore. Also don't forget to get 4dKH reference solution aside from the pH reagent.

+1 on the Milwaukee reg, I love mine. Sounds like a lot of money when you're looking at it but it works exactly as it should and seems extremely durable. Has a bubble counter with it too which I like better than the suction cup type counters. For drop checkers any will probably do, I bought a $12 drop checker from my LFS made by waterplant that works well. It's about the only thing I'd ever recommend from that brand though, terrible manufacturer of anything else haha

Back
Top Bottom