in need of good books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking to start a planted tank. I should rephrase that, I already have 3 planted tanks, but my knowledge about plants is pathetic. I have made 3 gorgeous tanks out of simple gravel and mulm with no expensive lighting and no expensive equipment. However, I am horrible at classifying plants and I am almost without knowledge as to whats out there. Can somebody recomend good plant identification guides, and good over all books about planted tanks?

Andrej

Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium is a must-have, and for ID I like Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants.

hanks for your help guys. I have walsteds book, and have read it many times. I'll check the identification one out. any other suggestions??
Andrej

yeah, i love all the Amano's book. so beautiful and inspiring. which is why i started planted aquariums. just bought a book called 'Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants' not bad.

For fish book, nothing beat Aquarium Fish of the World (ISBN 0-7938-0493-0).

The Baench "Aquarium Atlas" has over 400 fish and 100 plant I.D.s A good book you can find used for about $25. pretty easily. Peter Hiscock has a nice beginner's book called "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants". Basic, but with some nice plans and info and great pictures.

Well, I have worn out my copies of the Baensch atlases, Vol's 1-3, and I have learned that there are some errors in them pertaining to some fish (flying fox and SAE, for example). I adore those books, and won't give them up, but when hunting info on a particular fish I always double-check them.

Pablo Tepoot Aquarium Plants, The Practical Guide

Good pics, many of which show submerged vs emersed forms of the same plant.

A good complementary book to Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants.

Back
Top Bottom