In need of lighting opinions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blos85

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im a DIY'er at heart and i want to make a light bar/canopy for my 45g tank....the problem is that it is 2' deep......all thats available at the hardware store thats T5HO is 4' and 8' and the tank is only 3'. Could i reach that depth using 2-T5NO?

If you really like the DIY route I would suggest making a dimmable Cree led fixture with probably 60 degree lenses. It will be a little costly but will give you a great light in the end.

+1 I agree with Mebbid.

Check out rapidled.com

They should have everything you need, including tutorials. I'd go with a dimable driver and an inline dimmer, just incase you make it too bright... :lol: They use 3 watt Cree LEDs, so you should have no problem penetrating that deep of a tank. Or go with a LED fixture from buildmyled.com. I hear they are fairly bright, and dimable. You can configure specs and optics based on your needs upon ordering. They should have a 36" fixture.

Good luck! (y)

Edit: You might also consider using a Metal Halide fixture and suspending it above the tank. I'd make it adjustable so you can raise and lower the fixture based on how much light you're getting, if plants are flourishing, algae problems, etc... I believe MH's are good for penetrating deep tanks...

Last edited:
Idk much about MH's, i do know they create more heat but cost wise where do they fall?

They are generally more expensive than t5ho but cheaper than LEDs. The big cost however comes from replacing bulbs, power consumption, and managing the heat. LEDs are the cheapest long term but more expensive up front.

Here are pictures of the light. Sorry for bad lighting. Taken in the garage

Attachments

• image-4002088906.jpg
    image-4002088906.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image-204401653.jpg
    image-204401653.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image-2980208328.jpg
    image-2980208328.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image-3158995027.jpg
    image-3158995027.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 38
Idk much about MH's, i do know they create more heat but cost wise where do they fall?

I don't suggest using MH's for a 24" tank. They do run hot and use more electricity. You would get very high light and would have to try different heights in order to get it right for your tank depth. I run 3 MH's HID 150W on my 220g 30" deep tank. And only went with MH due to the 30" deep part. So honestly a good LED would penetrate that deep. I have a BuildMyLed fixture on an almost 20" tank. It has a 75% beam angle for deeper penetration and I have a dimmer on it. At 100% I can grow anything. BML fixtures have Par rating for different beam angles on their site. Plus they are made for planted tanks giving plenty of red spectrum.

Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC

Back
Top Bottom