Indicator plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've heard that putting certain plants in your tank can tell you which nutrients your tank is lacking. I know rotala indica is a good indicator for iron, is there any other plants that you all may know of and can you tell me what nutrient they show signs for?

Is there a particular nutrient you're wanting to monitor?

Really though, any plant can act as an indicator. If you don't have enough of something, it blanches, but otherwise it's fine.

Well I'm just having algae problems and without spending 50 bucks on all kinds of tests I'm trying to figure out what is causing it I guess

Do you know what the main cause of green slime algae is??

Blue Green Algae? Google up some pics and let me know if that's what it looks like.

If that's the case, it's usually a combination of low nitrate, high light/low CO2, and poor tank cleanliness, although only one is needed to bring it on. Blackouts/peroxide can be effective, but I generally just recommend hitting it with an appropriate dose of antibiotics because the other options never seem to work particularly well.

Back
Top Bottom