Info on shipping aquatic plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esoteric Backbone

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Another thread..

I've asked about what to do with my fish, I've asked what to do with my aquariums. Now I need to know about my plants.

I have a Moss Ball, a Moss Wall, a coconut shell with Moss on it some Anachrias, some different types of Amazon Swords, and a Banana Plant.

Is there anyway I can send any of these threw the mail? Would they last out side of the aquarium? Can I just keep them in a bowl? Some of these plants I don't need, but I definately want to keep the Moss Ball, wall and the coconut shell. And suggestions?

Not sure about the moss ball, but the rest of them you can put in ziplock bags with moist paper towels over them and ship them priority. That's how I ship plants, and how they are always shipped to me.

Yes, wrap them in wet paper towels, bag them and ship away. they will be fine for up to a week. Two - three days is better.

mfdrookie516 said:
Not sure about the moss ball, but the rest of them you can put in ziplock bags with moist paper towels over them and ship them priority. That's how I ship plants, and how they are always shipped to me.

I don't need to ship them in a bag of water?

rich311k said:
Yes, wrap them in wet paper towels, bag them and ship away. they will be fine for up to a week. Two - three days is better.

They will be fine wrapped in wet paper towels for up to a week?

They will need to submerged and planted. You could keep them in a bucket for a little while but they will need light before too long.

rich311k said:
They will need to submerged and planted. You could keep them in a bucket for a little while but they will need light before too long.

Could I let them tak in the sun?

I ship pretty much all of my plants just using a fish bag and a spritz of water.

They'll be fine floating in a bucket with some partial sunlight, just make sure you change the water out if it starts looking stagnant.

jetajockey said:
I ship pretty much all of my plants just using a fish bag and a spritz of water.

They'll be fine floating in a bucket with some partial sunlight, just make sure you change the water out if it starts looking stagnant.

Thank you jetajockey! So I don't have to transport them in a bag of water? Just use a moist paper towel, or a spritz of water?

What about my moss ball, and other moss? Just spray some water on them, and ship them? Or just put some water in the bag with the moss? Or is this not recomended?

When I put them in a bucket, do I need to use fert tabs? Liquid fert?

yea just put a couple sprays of water in there and tie the bag off, the water will keep the bag plenty humid.

The paper towel method works fine also.

I do the same with moss, it actually ships even better since it retains moisture well.

In the bucket don't bother fertilizing just make sure they have clean water and a good light source.

jetajockey said:
yea just put a couple sprays of water in there and tie the bag off, the water will keep the bag plenty humid.

The paper towel method works fine also.

I do the same with moss, it actually ships even better since it retains moisture well.

In the bucket don't bother fertilizing just make sure they have clean water and a good light source.

When I put the plants in a bucket of water, should I add prime?

jetajockey said:
yes, dechlorinate the water. I've kept plants in straight tap water like that for short periods of time with no ill effect, but no sense in risking it.

Ok, thank you very much! :)

Back
Top Bottom