Inject N2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpeinhardt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never heard of anyone fertilizing nitrogen via gas diffusion.

Is that because plants have trouble breaking the diatomic form apart?

Or is it simply that pure nitrogen gas is more expensive/cumbersome to use than dissolved potassium nitrate?

Like what they put in fast and furious cars??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had to look that up. That would be HILARIOUS to have a "Fast & Furious tank." You could name a fish "Fin Diesel."

But, essentially, yes, sort of. I'm asking why it doesn't ever seem to have been done.

I've read that pure N2 gas is really strongly bound up, so maybe that's why it wouldn't work? Or is it simply a matter of there being easier ways to get nitrogen into the tank?

Most tanks don't even need the extra nitrogen, in high tech show tanks with minimal stocking all it takes is a spoonful of kno3 every so often. spending on additional regulators and gas distribution seems silly for that;)

Brookster,

The reason I ask is because after I stopped doing DIY CO2, I had a major algae outbreak. Starting DIY back up alleviated the problem a little but not a whole lot. I've been looking at changing my fertilizer regimen a bit because this article from this site says:

Nitrogen is generally supplied in the planted tank through ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, which are compounds found in all tanks with fish. It is generally one of the first nutrients to require supplementation in the planted tank.

My tank is high light, medium-heavily planted and nitrate starved. I switched to compressed CO2 a couple weeks ago and, while it has certainly helped, I think I need to supplement the macro nutrients. Flourish and root tabs alone aren't cutting it.

Huh. I've heard of PPS before but the person mentioning it wasn't overly fond of it.

I'll look into it, thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Huh. I've heard of PPS before but the person mentioning it wasn't overly fond of it.

I'll look into it, thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Whichever cave your going to for advice should be boarded up:) check out gla, they've a few options, all.of which beat using a nitrous tank on a an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom